Ugly Anise

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
As promised, my ugly concrete colored anise bars. Good thing they smell nice.

35ddq8p.jpg

befogg.jpg

Aw they are cute. I quite like the understated grey, like a foggy morning.

Yep, thats the fishermans soap. They actually look a bit better now, when first poured they were a horrible shade of gray. I'm still not happy with how they turned out but it is a nice grey for a swirl. Its almost the exact shade of the pumice I added so I suppose its suiting.

Awe I think they are pretty too! Love top tops and color looks like cold morning water. :) Great job.

I think they are the perfect color for what they are, and they have lovely swirling on top!

I came to really appreciate the many shades of gray as I tried to make an elephant soap. I truly see the beauty in your fisherman's bar! And the top swirls are perfect!

Thanks everyone, you really make me feel better about my mistakes:) I've found I really like to swirl cavity molds, especially if the batter is thicker when I pour. I use a toothpick, its just the perfect size.

I probably would just avoid the conversation. :rolleyes:

That being said, I KNOW I have made some ugly batches and would either (a) not open myself up to the negativity and would not bother you all with pics or (b) point out the obvious and openly laugh at my ugly bars. I can take it. :D

I actually rather love that shade of grey. How did you achieve it? Wanted to try making a bar that looked like a chunk of slate and that shade would be perfect

I think they're lovely too! The color looks more like "spa clay" than "concrete" gray :)

I think that because we all soap and we all know that a batch of soap can often be more than meets the eye, we are often wearing "rose-colored soaper's glasses" when commenting on "ugly" soaps. So, whereas a non-soaper might say that a soap is ugly, we see it differently. We're not all lying to make someone feel better, I think we just tend to subconsciously look past aesthetics :)

But, seriously, I think your batch is aesthetically pleasing...it looks so creamy and wonderful. Plus, gray is one of my favorite colors :)

I used roughly 2 tsps of charcoal in a 2 lb batch. It was a little darker when I poured it but it lightened nicely as it set up.

Latest posts

Back