Ugh...I have the memory of an amnesia patient..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJA

Reaction score
Okay, someone much more awesome than I, did a gorgeous yellow dock root soap a week or so ago and posted the pic. Can someone remind me who it was? I did a search of the forum and came up with nothin'. Pink on the bottom, cocoa or mica line, and then whitish on top with pink shavings in it.

ANYWAY - I was so inspired by your soap (and happend to catch yellow dock root powder at a health food store that was going out of business today at 30% off...wee!) that I bought 5 ounces of it and I'm going to try it after Easter.

My question is, how much should I use PPO? I'm still puzzled by the fact that this greenish yellow powder makes such a pretty pink in soap. Can't wait to try it.

That's the one! It was Surf Girl! Thanks!

I got the powder at a health food store called "Natural Foods". It was going-out-of-business and I don't think it's any kind of major chain or anything.

So does anyone know how to incorporate it into the soap and how much PPO? I'm guessing I need to just mix it with a little oil before adding it?

what is PPO? what i've read is to do a small test of adding an ingredient to a lye solution and an oil solution (warmed) and see which version has the best color and to go with that....so you don't waste lots of ingredients

Hi soapers!

I did the pink by adding 1 tsp ppo to traced soap. You do get speckles in the soap this way. You can also colour soap pink/burgundy with yellow dock by infusing the oil(s). I haven't soaped this way yet, but I am currently infusing some oil. It will be a five-day or so infusion by the time I get around to soaping. I used 1 tsp ppo for this as well. We'll see how it turns out - I'm kind of fumbling around with respect to the quantity and infusion time.

Yes, it is totally cool how the golden powder turns soap pink.

And thanks for the compliments on the soap!

My property gets over run with the nasty dock...maybe I should be saving it for soaping :shock:

Nope, rather spray it and then buy it. Horrible weed. So interesting that it can turn pink. I might have to experiment with what I have on the property.

Thank you, Surf Girl! It is such a pretty soap and you did a great job on it. I kind of like the speckles so I think I'm just going to sprinkle into the traced soap, like you said.

(hmm...I wonder if I can grow the plant here in a raised bed or something...)

Happy Easter!

Great tips and great soap. Do you plan on infusing the powder in one oil or all you are using? and are you mixing all the base oils together days before when infusing?

It's an 80% olive oil recipe (bastile), so I'm just infusing the olive oil. Unfortunately, I'm also adding other things, so I won't actually know the true yellow dock colour alone. Some other time, I guess.

Back