Two Firsts: Salt Bar and Castile

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giantolive

Reaction score
First time trying to make salt bars and castile soap. Both were so much fun!

Scent: Blood Orange + Tangerine + Cedarwood EOs
Colorants: None, color is from EOs
Swirl/Pour: None

Making the salt bar went so smoothly. I did use individual molds since I was worried about timing the cutting since salt bars are suppose to get hard really fast. When I poured the batter it was a pretty orange sherbert color, but it hardened to the buttery yellow that's in the pictures. Looking forward to the bars curing since I've never used a salt bar before.

Scent: Eucalyptus + Cedarwood + Anise EOs
Colorants: Titanium Dioxide, Black Oxide, Ultramarine Blue, Chromium Oxide Ultra Green
Swirl/Pour: Layered and swirled

I was a bit worried when the castile came to trace in a relatively short amount of time, but it held that light trace for so long. Perfect for playing with swirls! I did fuss with things a bit too much and muddied the colors. I also cut a little too soon. Tried beveling with a vegetable peeler for the first time, but I'm not yet sure if I'll be doing that with all my bars.

Last pictures for a while. I'm out of most of my oils and it's a good time to pause and let the bars made from the recipe I've been working on cure up. Also gives me time to read up on some things and work on formulating another recipe.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Both your soaps look fantastic, especially the Castile.
I love the muted colors and fine swirls you got with the TD. I don't think they look muddled at all.

Latest posts

Back