Turning powder colorants into liquids

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanguine

Reaction score
Hii!
I'd like to have your opinion about something.
I've been thinking about putting my micas in oil, like before you add them to your soap, and put them in little bottles.
I'm doing this because I often mis-measure my micas and after I mix it with my soap it turns out there's not enough color. So I mix up more mica and oil but by the time it is ready (I prefer to put everything away before I start the actual soaping) the soap has moved on.
Would it be a good idea to put them in bottles? I was thinking about using rice bran oil but I worry about shelf life.
Any ideas?

I do this for my oxides. I use either olive or castor oil, both of which have a long shelf life. I use little bottles which hold about an ounce at a time so I use them up quickly.

This is also something I am interested in doing. Can you only do this with certain powder form colors? How much powder (oxides for example) do you put into an ounce bottle? By long shelf life, how long is that would you say?

Depending on the amount of powder I use and need, 6 to 12 months shelf life would be desired. I think it's possible to do this with everything as long as you know if it's oil/water/glycerin/alcohol soluble, however, water will give it a short shelf life without a preservative. I think...

Back