Troubling article about titanium dioxide

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard this negative information as well. It is troubling, but I do love to use my POP Micas from TKB, and they all contain T.D. So sad. I haven't decided where I stand on this one yet.

***Titanium dioxide is incompatible with strong oxidizers and strong acids.[30] Violent or incandescent reactions may occur with metals (e.g. aluminium, calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, zinc and lithium).[31]
Titanium dioxide accounts for 70% of the total production volume of pigments worldwide. It is widely used to provide whiteness and opacity to products such as paints, plastics, papers, inks, foods, and toothpastes. It is also used in cosmetic and skin care products, and it is present in almost every sunblock, where it helps protect the skin from ultraviolet light.
Many sunscreens use nano particle titanium dioxide (along with nano particle zinc oxide) which does get absorbed into the skin.[32][33] This could cause as of yet unknown health problems.[34]
Titanium dioxide dust, when inhaled, has recently been classified by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) as an IARC Group 2B carcinogen possibly carcinogenic to humans.[35] The findings of the IARC are based on the discovery that high concentrations of pigment-grade (powdered) and ultrafine titanium dioxide dust caused respiratory tract cancer in rats exposed by inhalation and intratracheal instillation.[36] The series of biological events or steps that produce the rat lung cancers (e.g. particle deposition, impaired lung clearance, cell injury, fibrosis, mutations and ultimately cancer) have also been seen in people working in dusty environments. Therefore, the observations of cancer in animals were considered, by IARC, as relevant to people doing jobs with exposures to titanium dioxide dust. For example, titanium dioxide production workers may be exposed to high dust concentrations during packing, milling, site cleaning and maintenance, if there are insufficient dust control measures in place. However, it should be noted that the human studies conducted so far do not suggest an association between occupational exposure to titanium dioxide and an increased risk for cancer. The safety of the use of nano-particle sized titanium dioxide, which can penetrate the body and reach internal organs, has been criticized.[37] Studies have also found that titanium dioxide nanoparticles cause genetic damage in mice, suggesting that humans may be at risk of cancer or genetic disorders resulting from exposure.[38]***

As I see it, the largest risk is when inhaling the dust in large amounts and on a recurring basis. Proper safety measures should help eliminate that risk. From what I see, nano particles are the concern here. Such as sunscreen applied to the skin where the nano particles have the possibility of being absorbed by the skin.
I don't see any evidence that the form and size we use for soap making or cosmetics is dangerous. It's surely something to keep an eye on but for now I personally see no reason to not use it (then again, I tempt fate and still use a charcoal grill too). :wink:

I'm in the same camp as MsB, the studies I've seen don't have anything to do with the TD we use in soap, and they aren't looking at its use in a wash-off product like soap to begin with.

Thanks for the article. I don't see it on the hotlist for Canadian Cosmetics but noticed they discriminate against something like pine tar which could be medicinal. (for excema, etc...)

Sunscreen has always been one product I refuse to use. You have to wonder why, with everyone wearing sunscreen, the rate of skin cancers in Australia has gone up. I cover up with white cotton clothing, wear a hat and stay out of the sun as much as possible. I'm not particularly worried about using a bit of TD in soap but I take care when mixing the powder. :wink:

With just a few moments of internet surfing, you can find troubling article about anything & everything.

[quote="MsB]As I see it, the largest risk is when inhaling the dust in large amounts and on a recurring basis. Proper safety measures should help eliminate that risk. From what I see, nano particles are the concern here. Such as sunscreen applied to the skin where the nano particles have the possibility of being absorbed by the skin.
I don't see any evidence that the form and size we use for soap making or cosmetics is dangerous. It's surely something to keep an eye on but for now I personally see no reason to not use it (then again, I tempt fate and still use a charcoal grill too). :wink:[/quote]

I agree with MsB. I read that the long term inhalation of TD is what is hazardous. But even if you use it infrequently, it's better to be cautious and use a dust mask.

I always use sunscreen and cover up in the sun, I've had too many Bcc's cut out of skin not to use sunscreen. In my case it was sitting out on the beach in summer without sunscreen as a teenager with fair skin.The skin cancer rate has gone up here because it has taken 30 yrs for these things to develop when we didn't use sunscreen.

I don't think the cancer council of Australia would have TD in their sunscreens if it was harmful ( think they are in the business of prevention).

I'll still use it in soap.

Relle.

Bubbles Galore said:
Sunscreen has always been one product I refuse to use. You have to wonder why, with everyone wearing sunscreen, the rate of skin cancers in Australia has gone up. I cover up with white cotton clothing, wear a hat and stay out of the sun as much as possible. I'm not particularly worried about using a bit of TD in soap but I take care when mixing the powder. :wink:

I agree with Carebear...trouble galore on the internet.

Bubbles, do you suppose that rather than the skin cancer being caused by TD, quite possibly it's that people think they can stay in the sun longer because they have sunscreen on their skin? And, that rather than the product causing the trouble, it's the person's choice to remain in the sun??

Someone is stirring the pot with this article. :roll:

Why add it if you don't need it... Natural soap wasn't meant to be white... My only concern is that many of us started makeing soaps to have a beneficial effect on our skin and our lives... Yet some of us (that's me) get carried away and go all these different directons, only to lose sight of why we started in the first place.. just because you can put something in soap doesn't necessarily mean it should be in soap... I don't begrudge anyone their right to add the kitchen sink... I have done that myself... I just prefer not to any longer... I make KISS soaps Keep It Simple Stupid

Ah, but not all of us make all-natural soaps. :wink: I readily use synthetic fragrances and colorants in mine, while there are others who wouldn't dream of using either. What makes the ideal soap for one person won't necessarily suit the next person and I think that diversity is one of the greatest things about the handmade soap community.

Those were my thoughts as well... I have nothing against making soaps with synthetic ingredients... But it's nice that we take the time to understand what these ingredients are and know whats in then in order to make intelligent desicions about what to put in our soap... That is the benefit of these forums and these discussions.. I, myself, personally, choose to keep it simple because out of ignorance and lack of investigation, I don't really know what is in a lot of all these things in the marketplace... I have sources that I trust and synthetic ingredients that I love and still use... But, it is so hard to tell now days with all the information and mis-information about the safety of items out there... On a side note semi relevent I almost hate to get somthing from China because of all the bad press on the poisonous chemicals they use in their products and ours. I likes this thread because it enlightens me of the safety concerns we need to be aware of regarding popular ingredients... Great Job!

jarvan said:
Bubbles Galore said:
Bubbles, do you suppose that rather than the skin cancer being caused by TD, quite possibly it's that people think they can stay in the sun longer because they have sunscreen on their skin? And, that rather than the product causing the trouble, it's the person's choice to remain in the sun??

:roll:

You could be right on the money there Jarvan. People stay out in the sun too long and expect miracles from sunscreen. I don't like sunbathing or being out in the sun for too long and I don't like greasy stuff (like sunscreen) on me. :wink:

Come on guys. You are not using TD nanoparticles when you buy TD from your supplier. Nano TD is something very different and is not sold as and additive you can freely buy. A big problem is the price you have to pay for nano TD. You will sense it. Titanium dioxide is similar to zinc oxide widely used in dipper creams for babies. It drys the skin.

Hi there -- This thread is 8 years old. Many of the posters are not around to respond and often some of the info in old threads is out of date. "Necroposting" is discouraged on this forum for that reason. If you want to discuss this matter further, please start a new thread to say what you want to say. Also give a link to this old thread if you want.

Also please introduce yourself in the Intro forum!

Back