Trouble with forst LS

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
I'm working on my first LS and ran into a couple problems. I used the glycerin method and my glycerin turned yellow after I added the KOH and it was really thick. Even heated up past 200*, I couldn't get all the KOH dissolved.
I dissolved the KOH best I could, hoping it would finish dissolving in the hot oil. I used a whisk and stirred everything together and it seemed to finish dissolving.
Its been cooking for about 1.2 hours now and I just checked it and alas, there is small bits of KOH still in the paste.
Is there any hope or should I give up? If I can get the paste to were its ready to be mixed with water, do you think the KOH will finish dissolving?
The recipe is SF at 4%

I went ahead and added the distilled water to the paste and the KOH is dissolving just fine. I will strain the final product just to make sure there is no bits floating around though.

Hi Obsidian! For your liquid soap, try not to superfat to start out. If this is your first time ever making liquid, i recommend using water to dissolve your KOH first, just until you get the hang of the process. Then move on to Glycerine.

I say don't superfat, as superfatting cuases the liquid soap to become cloudy with no chance of recovery. IF you still want to superfat, the best oil for that is Castor, as it still allows you to maintain a clear soap. However, i personally do use other soft oils like olive, grapeseed and sunflower oil without my final product becoming cloudy.
Also, cooking is key. My recommendation is to cook your soap for 3 hours to full guaranteed neutralization without the need to test. That also helps ensure you have a transparent soap and there's really no need to sequester.
I saw your first post on making your first batch, and i'd recommened you pick up Liquid Soap by Catherine Fallor. After getting her book, i recommend it to everyone i meet who wants to try liquid soap. It literally feel like a pro after buying it, that's how much my soap making skills had improved Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back