Triple Milled Soap??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baltochef

Reaction score
One of my interests is to make my own shaving soaps to use with a straight razor..

All of the reviews on the straight razor forums that I have read over the past 6 months have generally given the highest marks to those commercial shaving soaps that were triple-milled..

Perusing past threads here I am getting the sense that triple-milling is a commercial process that involves grating cured hard soap, adding a liquid to the soap, melting it, pouring it into molds, and applying some form of pressure ..

Am I correct in describing this process??..Is this actually repeated for a total of three times??..What advantages are there to triple-milling??..Is the purpose of triple-milling to make the soap super hard, and long-lasting??..Am I correct in thinking that true triple-milling cannot be accomplished in a home environment??..If so, what procedures will allow the home soap maker to most closely approximate commercial triple-milled soaps??..

I would like to experiment with shaving soaps in order to eventually establish a vegan shaving soap business..Both scented and unscented soaps..

Thanks in advance for your help in answering these questions..

Bruce

Hey there Bruce - welcome to the Forum.

I can't tell you if there really is any benefits for a "triple" milled soap. You've described the process properly, it is mechanical.

Now on to Shaving Soaps - there are many of us who do make shaving soaps and there many different types of shaving soap. Paul (Soapmaker Man) makes a wonderful whipped shaving soap. What you will find common amoungst all the hand-made soaps is that they are gentler and more nourishing than what you are going to find in a commercial soap.

I would recommend that you do a search on the Shaving Soaps and read the posts as there are some recipes in there for you to try as well as different techniques.

I promise you once you have tried using your hand-made shaving soap you will be hooked.

Cheers
Lindy

Soap gets harder every time you mill it. Therefore it lasts longer.

As a wet shaver myself, I really don't find triple milling to be of any significant value, other than lasting longer. My favorites actually aren't triple milled. But I do know that many guys prefer them, I think it has more to do with the proprietary scents of the traditional makers than the process itself.

Latest posts

Back