TOG mold question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you guys for being honest. I guess I'll try it once and if it leaks, I don't know. I'm going to cut my losses.

This is frustrating. I could have spend that 50$ on something else. Live and learn.

Who knows, you might get lucky.
I have my fingers crossed for you!

(if it leaks try pouring at a thicker trace, if you can; and yes it can be lined. the wood does insulate better than HDPE which is a positive if you like to gel as I do).

FYI: Paul NEVER had the ability to ban anyone. Only ADMIN can ban a member & Paul was NEVER admin. People do not get banned for speaking up or pointing out problems they have had w/ a supplier, People do get banned for flat out being ugly, rule hostile, etc. In most cases there are mulitple warnings before a person gets banned.

Moderator & admin decisions are not up for discussion. Please PM any member of admin or a moderator if you feel the need to discus Admin/Mod activities. It does not belong here.

Tabitha said:
FYI: Paul NEVER had the ability to ban anyone. Only ADMIN can ban a member & Paul was NEVER admin. People do not get banned for speaking up or pointing out problems they have had w/ a supplier, People do get banned for flat out being ugly, rule hostile, etc. In most cases there are mulitple warnings before a person gets banned.

Moderator & admin decisions are not up for discussion. Please PM any member of admin or a moderator if you feel the need to discus Admin/Mod activities. It does nor belong here.

Tabitha, sorry. I can't stay quiet for this one. Discussions are NOT always that free. It depends. While I've never been outright banned, a discussion about an experience I had with a bad supplier WAS shut down in what I have always considered blatant censorship. And in what was obvious bad behavior by that same supplier was ignored, and was rewarded with NOT being banned. And the fact that you're saying a discussion about forum policies isn't up for discussion (that's discussion, not debate) is that same theme. While the forum is a great source of inspiration, information and motivation, it seems you would want all the cards on the table and not just what you think is salient.

rszuba said:
i still put a plastic bag to line my tog mold, then the foam sides in.

That sounds like a good idea. :)

Like Mandolyn, I was a big extoller of the TOGs on this site as well as on other forums because the 3 that I own have always worked great for me (and still do). I feel really bad if anyone bought one on my enthusiastic advice only to have bad results with them, and I just wanted to say I'm sorry to all of you who spent your hard earned money on them only to have them leak all over. That bums me out big time. :(

Rosey, I hope you somehow got one of the good ones and it all works out for you.

IrishLass :)

Deja Vu?

SMF Admin and Mandy are the only one with the power to ban anyone. From what I understand the members that were banned last year were banned for flaming. Please lets not let this get out of hand.

I understand that there have been problems with the generations of TOG molds. I don't think anyone here is flying a TOG flag, but to be honest, we all thought they were great, and maybe for a time they were. Lets just keep the comments related to product only, without any personal attacks.

Play nice?

x

at the risk of ticking anyone off, i never bought a mold, (how did i dodge that bullet?) but i did buy his single wire adjustable soap slicer and it "kicks a$$!"

if the house ever caught fire, it would be one of the things i grab on the way out of the house.

the only drawback was that it took over 5 weeks to get it.

but one thing i DO know, my conscience wouldn't let me sell something that has serious flaws!

Soapmommie said:
Tabitha said:

Moderator & admin decisions are not up for discussion. Please PM any member of admin or a moderator if you feel the need to discus Admin/Mod activities. It does nor belong here.

Tabitha, sorry. I can't stay quiet for this one. Discussions are NOT always that free. It depends. While I've never been outright banned, a discussion about an experience I had with a bad supplier WAS shut down in what I have always considered blatant censorship. And in what was obvious bad behavior by that same supplier was ignored, and was rewarded with NOT being banned. And the fact that you're saying a discussion about forum policies isn't up for discussion (that's discussion, not debate) is that same theme. While the forum is a great source of inspiration, information and motivation, it seems you would want all the cards on the table and not just what you think is salient.

The supplier wasn't banned because it was a first offense. Thankfully the issue died with that thread and hopefully what happened to you will never happen to anyone else.

Yes, your thread was censored.

Censorship is defined as:

Censorship is the suppression of speech or deletion of communicative material which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or inconvenient to the government or media organizations as determined by a censor.

The MOD team took a vote, decided the thread was harmful to the balance of the forum & yes, I locked it.

A forum w/o censorship is a free for all & this forum is no free for all.

tog

Suppression of speech.

Wow. Now see, I was pretty much getting Deda's explanation on this issue until I saw that.

So there ya' go. The big C. Censorship.

I've been a journalist for 18 years and those three words - suppression of speech - are never good in any context. And no real media organization ever considers speech "inconvenient." And governments that do, well, I think they are based in Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan and North Korea, to name a few.

I completely understand reigning in speech that incites harmful action - even the New York Times held a story to keep one of its journalists from being killed, but suppression of speech just for the sake of suppression is just insidious and

Suppression for the sake of suppression is just shameful.

And I had no idea I was "censored." Again, as a journalist, I actually take that as a badge of honor.

Seriously Tab, sign up with merchant services and charge a fee, if the forum is that restricted and "sensitive." Let the market decide whether censorship is worth it.

Oh, wait, am I going to "censored" again for criticizing a ridiculous idea of suppression of speech or for that matter, a mod? I hope so.

You are in our house. You play by our rules. Membership is not your right, it is a privlage. If you do not like the rules you are welcome to leave. If you choose to cause problems you will be removed.

If we

The SMF's definition of an internet troll:

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupting normal discussion."-WIKI

The SMF has zero tolerance for trolling. If we determine you are attempting to provoke or disrupt this forum or if your posts have an inflammatory feel to them your account will be deleted an your IP will be banned.

Interesting topic.

I have a TOG mold. Worked great for the first few batches until the wooden pegs started getting worn. I now bungee it together to get a tight fit. It is also not square, which adds to the headache.

I rarely use it anymore, and I am saving for some silicone molds. Right now, I have invested in silicone individual molds and pull those out most of the time.

I pour at a relatively thick trace, so no problems with leakage, but can I say it's a quality mold? No....I cannot. The fit and finish are several steps below what I've seen on other sites.

I ordered a TOG mold earlier this year. It took a few months to come in, like 3. I was disappointed in that. I am not a huge fan of the liner either. It is already coming apart and I have used it less than 10 times... It will be fine for now, until I can part with more $$$ for the silicone molds...

If anyone decides to get custom silicone liners made for their TOG mold, please let us know how it goes! I was thinking about doing it but it's expensive to make the master mold and I'm not really wanting to invest any more into this thing than I have to. At least not until I know someone is making them and they fit correctly.

Or does anyone know if it's been done already?

There are so many of us in the same boat that you'd think one of the silicone liner vendors would just eat the initial cost and just make one so people could start buying them!

zeo

zeoplum said:
There are so many of us in the same boat that you'd think one of the silicone liner vendors would just eat the initial cost and just make one so people could start buying them!

zeo

Yeah....a case of "make them and they will come!" :lol:

Ok update:

I poured at really thick trace and it leaked a little bit so I'm convinced it would have leaked more at a lighter trace. I won't use it unlined anymore.

Welllllllllll, I decided to back out of this thread for a bit as things were getting too hot.

I've almost stopped using my TOG molds. The only one I still use is the 12/24 slab & it has a silicone liner in it from Woodfields Woods. I threw the TOG liner in the trash. Larry's liner is not a perfect fit, but with a shim on one side, it works just fine.

I just ordered a Kelsei mold, so I'm moving on. I will continue to offer my experiences with TOG products when I see anyone wanting that info. As for Paul himself, I have nothing to say either on forum or off.

I stand by my statement. "Buyer Beware!" Zeo & I have had the same experiences trying to find custom fit, replacement liners for TOG molds. Unfortunately, it's just too expensive.

Many soapers have spent countless hours trying to resolve the bad liner issue. Many of us have worked together to solve the problem. The best I could finally do was "make do." I just don't want to see anyone have to waste the money & time we all have.

I know that TOG is offering a new & improved liner. Before you invest, do some research on what that new liner is made from. It may not be all it's advertised to be.

well when I bought mine in Feb/April, it was a new system too so *shrug*

I will use it but I will line it. I used it twice lined with freezer paper, no problem.

And it wasn't easy to remove the soap either. I had to lift the bottom out. I think it's because my soap was still soft but still, I'd prefer using the freezer paper and just hoisting it out. Easy, simple.

I won't buy from him again, I'm going to try the other site I found, they aren't lined and much cheaper. I'm not going to pay extra for lining that doesn't work, kwim?

Back