To sell, or not to sell...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a lot of work but I've found you can also maintain your 'hobbyist' nature with selling soap. As others have stated, it is possible for the fun to be sucked out of it - but you can control whether or not that happens. Not to speak for anyone else who sells, but if you go into it with appropriate expectations (e.g. you probably won't make tons of money doing it), you can balance the fun/hobbyist and entrepreneurial aspects of it. I agree that you should find a niche if you can because it is an extremely crowded market, both online and in-person (craft shows, gift stores, etc). One part of selling that I enjoy is that it allows me to continue making soaps/cosmetics because I can only consume so much and the making/formulating is the part that I really enjoy, as most of us do I suppose. And, it helps fund the hobby side of things.

I was surprised how much time and money it cost to get 'up and running.' Website, business licensing/LLC work, graphic design, containers/sticker supplies, establishing a shop/space in-home/organizing/keeping clean, social media/online presence, etc.. I did it all myself (as most of us probably do), and had to learn a lot on the fly, but I enjoyed the process even though it was frustrating at times. There's probably easier ways to do it, but I like to do it all and control the flow.

Now that I've been at it for about 3 years with lots of ebbs and flows with respect to my devotion and available time (i have a full time career outside my soap business) to the business, I have a much more laid back attitude toward it and it's a lot more fun!

This is just my experience - YMMV of course!

What a fantastic post. I have been at this since 2003. I am constantly amazed by the amount of soapers and bath and body "producers" that try a receipe that weekend and then are selling it on the market the following weekend. It makes for a bad reputation for all handcrafted soapers. There is a reason why there are bath and body regulations. When the day comes that the FDA decides to start going after the handcrafted market (and eventually they will) the "competition" will be cut down 90%.
There was a girl in my weekly market that would unmold her soap, still sticking a bit in the mold, and selling "Fresh Soap". The "Fresh Soap statement was on her sign.

But thats where partnerships come into play. Find a partner who is good at the stuff you arent good at. One of my major downfalls in previous businesses is trying todo it all myself.

Taking on a partner will require more expense and splitting the income. In the US there are so many soap sellers and limited customers it would be hard to make a fair wage if paying or splitting the income from the business.
Most open air markets are saturated with soapmakers. Just like my market last night, which I have been attending at least 6 yrs, had 2 other soap sellers. This is a small market with about 20 vendors. It doesn't really hurt me, because many of the customers I have there, have been buying my soap for several yrs. I never noticed the other vendors selling enough, if any, soap to even make their $35 booth cost.
For my hubby and I it is something to do after retirement and we enjoy our weekly market, where the bulk of my sales are from crochet hats. I do not enjoy attending markets 3-4 times a week like we did when I started.

What a fantastic post. I have been at this since 2003. I am constantly amazed by the amount of soapers and bath and body "producers" that try a receipe that weekend and then are selling it on the market the following weekend. It makes for a bad reputation for all handcrafted soapers. There is a reason why there are bath and body regulations. When the day comes that the FDA decides to start going after the handcrafted market (and eventually they will) the "competition" will be cut down 90%.
Competition will stop once all the markets Mandate Insurance to do shows. Amazing how that stops a lot of, fly by the night soapers ;)

If craft fairs and markets are so overcrowded, why sell there? I hear time and time again how awful they are. I hear the same about Etsy. Why do soapers continue to try to sell at venues that, by their own admission, are not working? Is it just to complain at how crowded the soap market is? Is it to discourage others from entering the arena? Is it because they don’t know of another way?

As some have suggested - you have to change your thinking and your actions if you desire a different result. Period! Selling on Etsy and at craft fairs when you know it’s bad - is a fools errand....unless it’s worth your while do do it for reasons other than successfully running a business (think people watching, friendships, passing time, etc). If you continue to go down the “woe is me” path - you deserve to fail. You are knowingly wasting time and money to your own detriment.

If you can justify the time and expense of going to craft fairs - then great! Awesome!! If not - either get out of the craft fair game and pursue another path OR stay there and dig in your heals and make it work.

Start to market to your customer base of when you will be at the fair via Facebook or email. Don’t have their info? Who’s fault is that? Get their email address and ask them to join you on Facebook. Offer incentives for them to come and bring a friend.

Release new products and let everyone know. Instead of sitting behind your booth waiting for a customer to engage you - get your butt out from behind the booth and start TALKING TO PEOPLE! Ask them to try your product. Do a drawing for some free product. Give samples away. Talk to people and DO SOMETHING. Tell them about new products you have in the pipeline - encouraging them to come back. Ask them what they want in a bath and body product.

Every wonder why department stores have fragrance models? Because it works!! Every wonder why fast food restaurants at the mall give away free samples? Because it works. Yes it may cost you some product - but if done right - you will see results. Those people are out there annoying you to get your attention....to strike up a conversation....to engage you!

Don’t put a sample bin on your booth table. Talk to the customer - find out what their needs and wants are - then give them a sample based on your conversation( from under your table). That sample is now relevant and the customer connects with it. If you leave samples out for anyone to take without you speaking to them - your samples will be gone and so will the potential customer. It’s a waste of time.

Those that wine and complain at how bad things are - aren’t trying! Seriously....they are not trying!! It takes work, dedication, and most importantly - the ability to see their mistakes and be able to course correct to prevent it from happening again.

Sorry to go on a rant - but it makes my blood boil when someone comes on here and asks about selling and the old timers chime in and preach doom and gloom. It’s doom and gloom for them! That does not need to be your story. Choose a different path. Learn about marketing, branding, social media, target demographics. Those are the things that successful soapers do. You won’t find them on this forum whining and complaining because they are out there making a living and choosing to take a different path.

I believe it was said earlier by @efficacious gentleman that nearly 50% of your time needs to be dedicated to the business aspect of soaping. I would agree but suggest that it’s probably closer to 70 or 80% if you want to financially successful at this soaping business. That’s if you want to make a living doing this. And even then - you may still fail. But if you try to do anything less - failure is almost guaranteed.

So for those of you that disagree - I’m fine with that. But please don’t try and discourage those that are trying to grow and learn. Do be that jaded old soaper that only sees the downside of everything. Offer hope based on your experience rather than dispair.

If you can no longer make money as a soaper - then enjoy it as a hobby and look back on your successes rather than your failures. Share your experience and wisdom and tell people where you failed. This admission may open a world that you didn’t know existed. But it requires listening. You have to listen to what others say. Out of failure comes great success. Guaranteed!!’

Who is whining and preaching doom and gloom. Many new soapers think they are going to make great money doing craft fairs and farmer markets. Sorry it just does not happen. The outdoor market train slowed down several years ago. People that shop at open air markets usually have a different mind set than people shopping in big box stores. FYI big box stores go out of business. But I suppose you :thumbs: would know how to fix it

I for one simply enjoy attending markets and make a decent supplement to retirement. Granted it is not necessarily all B&B products but that is the nature of the beast. I also do not want to wholesale or go into full time manufacturing. No thank you

@Hendejm -I fully agree that finding your niche and creating unique branding is essential to a soapmaking (or any) business, as is promoting and marketing your business through social media and face to face contact. Perception is everything in marketing and I knew exactly what look/feel I was going for in my packaging, presentation, and products. It took a while to get it right, but the end result is that I have cohesive branding and an 'over the top' booth presentation that matches my branding and style. I no longer do farmers markets or small craft fairs simply because my business style isn't a good fit for these events. Festivals, however...these are great for me and I enjoy them.
BUT - I feel that you are being completely unfair to the 'old-timers' (as you call them) on this forum who are simply stating facts. I certainly don't think that their intention is to dissuade anyone from trying to sell their products, nor do I feel that they are preaching 'doom and gloom'. As an old-timer myself, I completely agree that the market for handmade soap/B&B products has changed drastically in the past few years. Not only is it saturated, but there is an overabundance of vendors who are trying to 'get rich quick'; care nothing for the craft, and sell inferior and sometimes even unsafe products. **This comment is NOT meant for the original poster or anyone on this thread - just my observations in my local area.**
As for your inference that these old-timers are somehow lazy or just not trying hard enough?
Cmzaha was actually kind enough to share almost your exact same thoughts on samples with me years ago. I forget her exact words but she shared her wisdom of having samples of new products to share with customers and ALSO to engage my customers in conversation to fit the sample with the customer as well as to ask them what other products they might want that I didn't offer.
And I'm not sure if you've ever actually been a vendor at a farmers market/craft fair/festival, but most of the ones I've participated in over the years (in different states) have VERY strict rules about 'aggressive selling'.
"Ever wonder why department stores have fragrance models? Because it works!! Every wonder why fast food restaurants at the mall give away free samples? Because it works. Yes it may cost you some product - but if done right - you will see results. Those people are out there annoying you to get your attention....to strike up a conversation....to engage you!"
This is NOT allowed and will get you kicked out tout de suite with an invitation to not apply to this particular event in the future.
Same goes for having a drawing for free products that isn't approved by/doesn't benefit the venue in some way. However, I have had good results and repeat customers for providing gift bags/baskets for festival auctions.

I think there is also room for those of us that simply do not have time to do the craft fair route. I am far more interested in selling on a wholesale basis regardless of who's name is on the label. It is what I have time for, and it far more suits my personality. I am exploring some non-traditional avenues of getting my soap into people's hands. With the current mentality of more natural/less chemical products, you would be surprised at who is interested in offering hand made soap. I am glad there are people who sell at craft fairs, don't get me wrong, because a positive experience in using hand made soap has opened a couple of doors for me that I would not otherwise have had. And my samples in their hands assures them that I make good soap. But I probably spend 1 hour "marketing" to each 10 hours manufacturing at this point. I understand that that will have to change down the road, but it is what I have time for right now.

I am far more interested in selling on a wholesale basis regardless of who's name is on the label. It is what I have time for, and it far more suits my personality. I am exploring some non-traditional avenues of getting my soap into people's hands.
This, 1000x this. Some of us [me, I'm talking about me] don't like doing shows, don't like handling customers, and we're [I'm] not good at it. It doesn't matter how hard we hustle, we are just never going to be "big sellers". Would I rather handle one customer to sell 18 bars of soap, or handle 18 different customers? [rhetorical question]

I think before you seriously consider selling, you should consider how you want to sell and then do the research to find out how to sell to that market, and make a plan. I walked in blind to my business (3-1/2 years in and I'm still learning things I didn't know I didn't know) and still feel that I'm running a business to justify an expensive hobby.

I did get a tickle from posts like I saw on FB several weeks ago. A soaper was complaining that another soaper had stolen her ideas. She makes soap, lotion and bath bombs. The other person makes soap, lotion and bath bombs. The products between the two are different. But I always get a kick out of the complaining of stolen ideas. Lush can easily sit back and say everyone stole their bath bomb idea. There is a limit of creativity for everyone. Someone someplace is doing the same thing you are and more than likely has no idea you exist.

Yes there are a lot of people making soap!

But, with exception to water, soap is the only item in the world that every human being on the planet needs!

And as far as I know, no one is allergic to soap. Maybe certain oils, but there are always different ingredients.

So everyone is your potential customer!!!

I agree it is a competitive market. But, everyone uses soap, not everyone uses artisan/handmade soap. So, in my mind those that currently buy off the shelf, manufactured soap are all potential customers. Be positive and follow your heart in all that you do.

This, 1000x this. Some of us [me, I'm talking about me] don't like doing shows, don't like handling customers, and we're [I'm] not good at it. It doesn't matter how hard we hustle, we are just never going to be "big sellers". Would I rather handle one customer to sell 18 bars of soap, or handle 18 different customers? [rhetorical question]

I think before you seriously consider selling, you should consider how you want to sell and then do the research to find out how to sell to that market, and make a plan. I walked in blind to my business (3-1/2 years in and I'm still learning things I didn't know I didn't know) and still feel that I'm running a business to justify an expensive hobby.
I am like you.
I was approached to sell by the one and only shop in our village.
We have a tiny number of permanent residents and 5,000 visitors in summer.
Once a week I walk down to the shop (450 metres) and take a photo of my display. I come home and wrap soap to fill the gaps and take it down to the shop where I price tag it.

I can make whatever I want.
I have a website but I don’t sell from it but I do sell bulk orders on request. I can go away on holiday whenever I want and I don’t have to deal with customers. My friends are happy with my seconds - of which there are still quite a few. :rolleyes:

It covers the costs of my obsession, gets me involved in the village and also gives me a bit of a creative outlet.

Last edited:
If like most people who sell soap it is an "extra" income and doesn't have to pay a mortgage/utilities then you get to develop your own business model. I like people and love the craft fair venue. I am fortunate to live in an area with yearly shows and I do 5 shows in the fall. I don't have a website and don't do wholesale. It works because it fits what I love. I have made many friends and have a very faithful customer base developed over the years that I see each year. I started when I retired in 2006 and will stop when the aches/pains make setting up the booth too difficult.

Latest posts

Back