Tiger Stripe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotsman

Reaction score
Tried the tiger stripe technique for the first time. The soap is lard, coconut oil, olive oil, castor oil, red palm butter, and cocoa butter. The fragrance is clean and masculine. Inspired by the green irish tweed fragrance by creed.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1402874997.940277.jpg

Thank you everybody. I was a little worried how it would come out because my batter traced a little quicker than expected but the thicker trace made for thicker, well-defined lines so I am happy with it. I want to try one that looks like zebra stripes. Can anybody recommend a black dye that will give me a pure solid black color?

Thank you everybody. I was a little worried how it would come out because my batter traced a little quicker than expected but the thicker trace made for thicker, well-defined lines so I am happy with it. I want to try one that looks like zebra stripes. Can anybody recommend a black dye that will give me a pure solid black color?

Gorgeous stripes! Activated charcoal gives a really deep black.

The tiger stripe is actually very easy to do. There are a lot of videos online showing how to do the technique. I haven't tried it in anything but a log mold and in all the videos I saw they were using log molds so I am assuming that is the preferred mold type for this technique. Might be interesting to see what result would be achieved from using a slab mold though...hmm. I do believe I will have to add another item to the ever-expanding list of soap projects I want to try if I can ever find the time, lol!

So do you bring it to trace before you start your striping, the videos i have seen do not show very good if it gets that far. Is it just well incorperated or is it light trace at that point?

Ideally, you want a light trace but when I did mine it got to medium trace by the time I had separated and colored the batter. I was worried it wouldn't work right but it actually made thicker, more well-defined lines and I was very pleased with it. So I guess medium trace is ok too depending on what type of effect you are going for. I don't think a thick trace would work well because the batter would be too thick to push the preceding layer outward to create the stripes. This is just a guess though. I've only done this technique the one time so I am by no means an expert on the matter. There are others here much more qualified than me to answer that question so I am hoping they will weigh in because I am curious about this as well.

Thank you. It was a fun technique to do. I'm going to try an orange and black tiger stripe soap because orange is my son's favorite color. I also want to do a black and white one that looks like a zebra

Latest posts

Back