Third Soap Making Attempt

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasmyne

Reaction score
17073EDC-55DA-4956-A0B1-900CA40AAABE.jpeg 9F44EDC1-F153-4D0B-83C2-CDAAEA5E5D31.jpeg 37FE47DA-7F2D-4B8A-BE51-2064E5EC7E30.jpeg
These are tea tree lemon charcoal bars!! They’re kinda short!! Anyone know off hand how much a 5lb mold holds on ounces? My recipe currently makes about 75oz.

You need 80 oz of oil. When discussing batch sizes, we use oil amounts not the amount of the whole batch. A 5 lb mold will hold a recipe made with 5 lbs of oil.

Since you are a beginner, I really recommend a 1 lb mold. That way you won't have so much soap if you make a recipe you don't like or there is some kind of mistake.

I've been soaping for years and I've never made a 5 lb batch, I like 1-2 lbs.

I was unaware that the 2lb mold was the oil content measurement. I haven't been over careful with amount I make rather the percentages. Any thing extra goes into individual molds. But I'm new and using and gifting my soap at this point. Thank you for explaining the molds.

View attachment 36205 View attachment 36206 View attachment 36207
These are tea tree lemon charcoal bars!! They’re kinda short!! Anyone know off hand how much a 5lb mold holds on ounces? My recipe currently makes about 75oz.
Oh btw, those look great ;)

Did I miss the second batch or we skipped straight to third? Haha

They're developing a calculator in this here forum that helps you with mold capacity, you might be interested to try it. It's the easiest way to go if you don't wanna do calculations, but I do the same as DWinMadison.

I agree with the 1lb mold recommendation. You're going to have so much soap doing those big batches! The 1lb makes 5 bars, which is enough to try, gift, and save. Fewer bars means you can try more ideas without being afraid of wasting materials.

Oh btw, those look great ;)

Did I miss the second batch or we skipped straight to third? Haha

They're developing a calculator in this here forum that helps you with mold capacity, you might be interested to try it. It's the easiest way to go if you don't wanna do calculations, but I do the same as DWinMadison.

No, you didn't miss anything!! The second one wasn't very cute. I could post it anyway but I'm not as proud of it lol

Very nice!

A 5 lb mold will hold a recipe made with 5 lbs of oil.

I have not found this to be consistent. The molds I have from Nurture are sold as "2.5 lb Molds" and take 31.5 oz of oil. Their 5lb molds take 63 oz of oils.

I use the same formula mentioned above... L x W x H x 0.40 = Oils.

Back