Thin Bars? Thick Bars?? POLL!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thin bars?!? or Thick bars?!?

• THIN! (0-1inch thick, bars are tall and wide)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SPHERE! (soap balls!)

• OTHER!! please comment :)

• Total voters
I have really big hands but the chunky soaps I've made are difficult to rotate and use, for some reason. I like bars in the 1 inch range, less than 1.5 inches because they feel better in the hand and are easier to roll around in my hands to work up a lather. I haven't had problems with bars breaking in the shower, at least yet. I like rectangular better than round. I make round soaps on occasion, but they don't feel as natural/comfortable to me as a rectangular bar does.

ministeph said:
:) I like the idea of oval shaped soap, although I haven't seen a mold for that kind of shape (that was CP compatible that is)

We really like the oval bars mold we got from WSP 4 individual molds in a tray.

The oval or a small rectangle are my favorites. I like the oval cuz it seems to be used uniformly and i don't have a bar that gets thin in the middle and becomes two little slivers.

I realize I should have also included CUBE shape bars, I personally had'nt seen one until last night, but it was really great. I'm really getting inspired about 'other' soap shapes since following the 'soapisbeautiful' blog. Thanks for all your feedback everyone!!

If I make them for myself, I like the smaller bars....oval especially, but when selling, I think the bigger bars sell better. People like to think they are getting their moneys worth in a big bar of soap.
When I have watched reviews about soap, one of the first things mentioned is about the size of the bar being 'nice size' in reference to : a large bar and getting your moneys worth.

And I find myself doing the same thing. Even though I like the smaller fit in my hand, I will only buy the bigger bars online.

cp chick said:
ministeph said:
That bar in your avatar was made with a pop bottle?!??!? and here I was thinking it was some sort of specialty 'massage' bar mold! :D that is too cool! It looks great.

Thanks! I was looking at items around the house for a unique mold, and suddenly it hit me. I only have about 8 though, so I'll either have to buy more pop or bug some friends for theirs. :lol:

What size pop bottle did you use? (I love that idea!)

Dixie said:
If I make them for myself, I like the smaller bars....oval especially, but when selling, I think the bigger bars sell better. People like to think they are getting their moneys worth in a big bar of soap.
When I have watched reviews about soap, one of the first things mentioned is about the size of the bar being 'nice size' in reference to : a large bar and getting your moneys worth.

And I find myself doing the same thing. Even though I like the smaller fit in my hand, I will only buy the bigger bars online.

I'm just curious Dixie.. what does 'large or big' bar of soap mean to you? the really BIG looking ones (tall, wide) or the big hunks of soap that are closer to being cube shaped... or do you mean by weight? ones that are labeled as being 5+ oz or so? What do you classify as being a big bar of soap? :D

Happy Lass said:

Not sure of the sizes available in the US, but in Canada they are 591 ml - roughly 20 oz. There's a small seam around the circumference near the bottom. I just cut the bottle off at that. They had to be put in the freezer a while to get them out without deforming the shape.

Good luck in your search and hope you post some pics if you do make them. :)

cp chick said:
[quote="Happy Lass":2g8h8f4t]

Not sure of the sizes available in the US, but in Canada they are 591 ml - roughly 20 oz. There's a small seam around the circumference near the bottom. I just cut the bottle off at that. They had to be put in the freezer a while to get them out without deforming the shape.

Good luck in your search and hope you post some pics if you do make them. :)[/quote:2g8h8f4t]

Thanks! 20oz we can do. I have two teenaged sons who'll be more than happy to help me out here. :D

Back