The Zap Test: A Visual Guide

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just made a batch of CP soap, and after 24 hours of sitting , I unmolded,and out of curiosity I did a zap test with my tounge,and nothing, zero zip zilch nada, just tasted like soap, did I miss something?

I made a batch yesterday and did the zap test an hour or so later (because I'm either curious or a masochist) - it zapped noticeably although not badly. Today I unmoulded it and did another zap test - nothing other than a soapy taste.

I just made a batch of CP soap, and after 24 hours of sitting , I unmolded,and out of curiosity I did a zap test with my tounge,and nothing, zero zip zilch nada, just tasted like soap, did I miss something?
Nope, when it just tastes like soap, you're good :)

so does this mean that it's good to use, or does it still need a 4-6 week cure time?
I ask because mine is the same way, I made a batch yesterday, unmolded today, did my zap test and it just tasted like soap, no zap at all.

I would wait the 4 weeks and maybe longer depending on the amount of hard fats you used.Im fairly new to making soap also,but I have noticed that although it seems hard enough on the outside,the inside of the soap is still not quite ready,it will get mushy on you really quickly(experience)But I have also learned for myself that it is totally safe after 2 days and my test strips say the ph is good.

I would say you have to wait at least 4 weeks if you plan on NOT drying your skin. Curing is mostly about the soap getting milder, this is much more important than for it to get drier.

Thanks for the hilarious tutorial!
As for the zap test. I've made just a few batches of CP soap. A couple of them weren't made that long ago. Certainly not 4-6 weeks. However, I'm not getting "zapped". Does that mean my soap is safe to use?

Thanks for the hilarious tutorial!
As for the zap test. I've made just a few batches of CP soap. A couple of them weren't made that long ago. Certainly not 4-6 weeks. However, I'm not getting "zapped". Does that mean my soap is safe to use?

Zap doesn't happen for long with a soap that is made correctly -

Safe to use - when it stops zapping. CP, that can be between 1 to 2 days, maybe a touch longer if the soap is cooled and so on. For HP, after the cook.

Ready to use - after the cure. Usually between 4 to 8 weeks, more for certain types of soap.

The bit inbetween - the soap is safe to use, but will not be an exact look at how the final soap (post cure) will perform.

Hey guys as where on the topic of lye and zap testing I would really like to ask...

The sodium hydroxide I use is 99% pure SH, so is most of the stuff I find online But what is the 1% that is not listed?

Literally have no clue and it never tells you on the back?

Would love to know since I've been zap testing and hope it's nothing bad.

Sorry if this sounds dumb

Thanks Liam :) x

The 1% is likely water. Over time because sodium hydroxide (NaOH) is hygroscopic (absorbs water) it will become lower than 99% pure. This is why you should store it in an air tight container. In fact, 99% is extremely pure. Most NaOH is 94-96% pure as reported by a certificate of analysis from the company. Hopefully that helps!

Zap doesn't happen for long with a soap that is made correctly -

Safe to use - when it stops zapping. CP, that can be between 1 to 2 days, maybe a touch longer if the soap is cooled and so on. For HP, after the cook.

Ready to use - after the cure. Usually between 4 to 8 weeks, more for certain types of soap.

The bit inbetween - the soap is safe to use, but will not be an exact look at how the final soap (post cure) will perform.

I love this guide TEG. It should be in a tutorial exactly as is :)

Loved reading this thread. I am a newbie and made one batch on a course and just getting ideas by reading through as many posts as i can...this one on a rainy Sunday has been the best so far!!

Latest posts

Back