The Ultimate Challenge....(for me, anyway)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gryfonmoon

Reaction score
It's been forever since I've posted here, but I know this is the place to go for help, and lord do I need help! :mrgreen: (I've been researching for some time now and can't quite figure out how to go about it, even though soapcalc helps all the options are driving me mad!)

Before I get into what this challenge is, I fully acknowledge that I might not be able to accomplish what I need to with the materials I've got, so don't hesitate to tell me. However, I would like help with brainstorming!

So, here we go. I need to make soap for a co-worker's baby shower and this soap will be for her and (presumably when he's old enough) her baby. So it needs to be gentle. However, while I have various oils and lye, I don't really have the oils commonly considered to make a 'gentle' soap (I could absolutely be wrong, so that's why I'm throwing this out there for the more experienced). The other kicker is that I'm broke so I absolutely have to use what I have on hand.

Also, I am willing to HP, and probably will have to because the shower is in 7 weeks (Last minute announcement at work). The good thing is that I only have to make 800ml worth of the stuff.

Oils I have on hand (order from the most to the least):

Palm Kernel Oil
Red Palm Oil
Coconut Oil
Canola Oil
Rice Bran Oil
beeswax

(Yes, I have a strange diet :oops:)

I also have some Tussah silk I could throw in there as well. I'll even superfat the heck out of it if I have to.

I could scrape up enough money to get some sunflower oil if need be, but that's it.

Any suggestions or pointers or recipes? I've been researching for days and my time's running out. Thanks! :) :)

I would do 50% rice bran and 50% palm oil. Can you find regular palm? The red palm will make really colorful lather and bright orange soap. Best option really is 100% olive oil.

I would do 50% rice bran and 50% palm oil. Can you find regular palm? The red palm will make really colorful lather and bright orange soap. Best option really is 100% olive oil.

Yes, I have a lot of red palm oil on hand.

Additionally, I do have some old castile bars hanging around somewhere...probably cured for two years, lol.

Back