The right color red

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy8

Reaction score
So I am looking to makes some gift soap for my little nephews. Just so happens they are deep into this whole "Zombie Apocalypse" stuff. It also just so happens that is one of the themes I am using for one of my soaps. Anyways, I am looking for a red colorant and I'm not sure what one would be the right one. I have heard that red is hard to get right. What I am looking for is that deep darkish blood red color. Not to dark or brown but not a bright red. Any thoughts on what would be a good one to go with? I also plan on doing an up high drizzle using my black oxide. So I as far as the finished product, I am looking for a blood red colored bar with some black swirls in it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i dont have any suggestion, as just like you, i am also still looking for that perfect red. i refrained myself from making candy cane soap for christmas coz i didnt have the correct bloody red :( :(

i just got some red oxide (from coast*l scen*s), havent tried it yet. from what's seen on the eyes, it looks like the red that you were describing. a bit dark.

there's also carmine red, from tkb.. which i think is more "lipstick" red..

That Red Iron Oxide looks like it could be the perfect fit. I think I may have to try that. Its also nice to see two more places that I can go to for stuff like that if I am unable to find them on the usual sites. :) Thank you guys a lot for your help. You have just assisted in possibly making two little nephews very happy with some zombie soap...lol

I can tell only tell you to NOT to use Red D&C 21 cuz it makes a very lovely pink color.

I would wonder if a red could be mixed with activated charcoal or black to make a deeper red. This is a trick a tattoo artist used on me many moons ago to lighten the black.

Good luck and please post pics after!

Also, is it inappropriate to mention business names here? I see things like this:

i wasn't sure, but i think it is okay (i've seen ppl post complete name of products/businesses).. i wasn't trying to advertise anything from them though, not affiliated with them whatsoever. only trying to help a fellow member :)

I personally come on this site for help and advice in different techniques and places. If it's that uptight maybe it's not for me. I sure see soapers with their business names on here often. I hope this can just b a place to get help, experience and advice.

I have asked specifically if it was permitted to post names and links to products and was told by an Administrator that it was okay;

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=39574

If you know of specific good deals or sales that are on and you want to pass it on, you can post them under "Shopping recommendations", so I don't think it's at all forbidden to mention brand names or stores or which products work well and which don't. I've done it several times and have never been reprimanded. :)

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back