The Economy and the holidays

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

The prediction is that this holiday season will be the worst in six years. Is anybody deciding not to do holiday shows out of any concern that people just won't buy this year?

I am trying to decide whether it is smart to spend the extra money to do shows when I might not be able to make it back because people aren't buying.

Well, not that I have done any shows at all, but I've decided to sit out this holiday season. Last week I was approved for a juried farmers market and they told me I can start NOW. I'm waiting until Spring.

We'll meet at White Flint or Tysons, have coffee and people watch. Discuss all the sales we're missing.

I have not done shows in a couple of years.

I think the upscale shows will still bring in money. The upper class are not suffering through this like the middle class are :? .

I am taking a diff approach this year. I am offering Christmas gift making classes. The idea being they come in & make 2-3 items for $30.00-ish & leave w/ the skills & resources to make more pieces. It should appeal to people looking to save money on Holiday shopping while having a handmade Holiday season. We will do candle pies, M&P soap, pendants under glass, etc.

I just did my 2nd craft show this fall & I did really well - better than 4 times my table fee. In fact, I'm hoping I have enough soap for next week's fair.

People are still spending in my neck of the woods. Although, after the banking bail out got voted down today, who knows what'll happen next? :shock:

I suggest not sitting out the shows. It's bad economic times when people will go to markets to buy their holiday gifts, and not pick up something from the mall. This could be very good for you. It's also a good time for homemade/grass roots as people are pretty anti-corporate these days. But of course it all depends on your product, price and location.

Then look at it this way, when times pick up you will have already met some new customers.

OK. Did my 3rd craft fair last Sat & did 5 x's my table fee.

People bought mostly soap, & many were for Christmas presents. People are buying here, but I think they're buying for others, not themselves. I saw a lot of that at the last craft fair as well.

Latest posts

Back