Never ending printer frustration

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaG

Reaction score
My printer wireless doesn't work, I can't use glossy function because it doesn't exist for this printer, and it isn't printing as clearly as it used to. It's got to be ten years old. It's an old monochrome laser printer.

Here's the thing, I've been looking for a new printer for my labels for months. Looked into both laser color and things like hp with their monthly plan, and epson ecotanks and even brother printers. The negatives of ALL of the printers that are supposedly the most popular and loved have serious negative reviews. I honestly don't have a clue which one to get. And the thing is, those in our industry can't agree on any of them either. One person say they love epson 2800 and another hates it with a blind passion. It's the same with all of them. They rip pages, won't print on glossy, faded colors, lines in the colors, won't last more than a year, and more. And they all seem to have the exact same complaints with none of them not showing people saying the exact same things.

I can't even nail down whether I should get a laser or ink printer. Heck, I can't even settle on if I want to use color or just black and white. Because everyone complains about everything to do with any of them. Usually I can narrow it down. Not this time. I research the heck out of everything. I've looked at hundreds of reviews for nearly every printer in the last five years.

And now I honestly don't know what to buy in the least.

Please do you have any idea what I should buy?

Same problem here. My old laser printer finally was doing too many bad things, and the cost to even diagnose it was the cost of a new printer. Then the repair shop also said they couldn’t guarantee that parts were available.

Had the exact same problem with reviews- each printer out there has lovers and haters. I was paralyzed with research — until I had to print something and literally could not. Being forced to just pick one and hope for the best, I went with the Eco Tank. The best price was at my local Staples ($50 less than Costco). So far, I’m very happy with it. Printing is much slower than before, but the quality is good. Here’s hoping that I got one of the good ones!

Same problem here. My old laser printer finally was doing too many bad things, and the cost to even diagnose it was the cost of a new printer. Then the repair shop also said they couldn’t guarantee that parts were available.

Had the exact same problem with reviews- each printer out there has lovers and haters. I was paralyzed with research — until I had to print something and literally could not. Being forced to just pick one and hope for the best, I went with the Eco Tank. The best price was at my local Staples ($50 less than Costco). So far, I’m very happy with it. Printing is much slower than before, but the quality is good. Here’s hoping that I got one of the good ones!
Which eco tank did you get? My local sams has a bunch of ecotanks on for sale and the 2804 on for $200. Man, I wish it was $50 lol. I just want one that does glossy well without coming off on my fingers, does color well, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Bonus if it can print directly onto 110lb/300gsm cardstock.

Not being able to make a decision based on research is a new sensation to me. Usually I can narrow things down slowly. I can make a decision in the moment if I absolutely must but that's not how I usually do things. Heck, I was in walmart yesterday (they are renovating) and it was madening. I found mayo in four different locations in the store. I finally texted my husband and told him I was having a sheldon moment. So I just grabbed a few things and left.

Kyocera. Watch eBay for out of box deals. Ask local business printing dealers if they have a smaller one. Have used Kyocera printers for over ten years. They may print heavy card stock as several of their printers have a feed from the back that goes straighter than the drawer feeds. Workhorse printer that also copies and scans to pdf. Love mine. I have an Ecosys 5526cdw
Edit: yes they cost 300ish. The ink lasts a long time and is less expensive than most cheaper printers.

Which eco tank did you get? My local sams has a bunch of ecotanks on for sale and the 2804 on for $200. Man, I wish it was $50 lol. I just want one that does glossy well without coming off on my fingers, does color well, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Bonus if it can print directly onto 110lb/300gsm cardstock.

Not being able to make a decision based on research is a new sensation to me. Usually I can narrow things down slowly. I can make a decision in the moment if I absolutely must but that's not how I usually do things. Heck, I was in walmart yesterday (they are renovating) and it was madening. I found mayo in four different locations in the store. I finally texted my husband and told him I was having a sheldon moment. So I just grabbed a few things and left.
Mine is an ET-2850. Other than work documents, I've only printed on regular Avery labels so far. Sorry I can't be of more help with that.

Sheldon moment 😆I am familiar with those. I also am used to being able to narrow things down based on information. However, what you said about reviews being all over the map seems to be a thing now. What I've concluded is that quality control across all spheres of manufacturing has really gone to pot, whether that is due to poor help, supply chain fluctuations, good materials from one supplier and crappy ones from another (but they have to buy what and where it's available, etc. Your lemon can be my best piece of equipment, and vice versa.

Mine is an ET-2850. Other than work documents, I've only printed on regular Avery labels so far. Sorry I can't be of more help with that.

Sheldon moment 😆I am familiar with those. I also am used to being able to narrow things down based on information. However, what you said about reviews being all over the map seems to be a thing now. What I've concluded is that quality control across all spheres of manufacturing has really gone to pot, whether that is due to poor help, supply chain fluctuations, good materials from one supplier and crappy ones from another (but they have to buy what and where it's available, etc. Your lemon can be my best piece of equipment, and vice versa.
lol, whats great is that you got my joke. The whole time I was in the store I was going 'this is wrong, this is wrong, this is wrong. OMG, put it back'. I'm not usually like that so it was funny.

Maybe I'll just go with the sams thing. My sams card is completely clear. And I'd likely be able to return it without a problem if I'm having issues. I don't think they have a 2850, but they do have a 2840. Plus I need some baking soda for bath bombs anyway.

Latest posts

Back