The difference between babassu oil and butter is...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lianasouza

Reaction score
After reading the De-Funk De Pits Saga and some other threads discussing the difference between soft and hard babassu, I looked for information from Brazilian supliers and this is the best I could find:

"What is the difference between babassu butter and babassu oil? Are they extracted from different parts of the coconut?

The main difference between babassu butter and babassu oil is that the oil is the fat extracted from the pulp, whereas butter is the fat extracted from the pulp without excluding it.

This is; butter, in addition to fat, includes the pulp in dry form, with its fibers and proteins, thus giving it a nutritional advantage over oil, which is made up only of the fruit's fat."

Googletranslated from Destilaria Bauru -

(When I asked about the saponification value, they said it can be considered the same, which seems strange to me.)

Now I'm wondering if the fiber and protein from the pulp could feed the bacteria we try to avoid when making babassu deodorant, making the soft oil a better option.

Related threads:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/de-funk-de-pits.60682/
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/de-funk-de-pits.60682/
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/babassu-oil.83963/

I am not sure about the butter.... I thought it was like coconut oil. An oil that is an oil, but can be solid at room temperature.

As I understand it, there is two ways of extracting but it is still babassu oil.

i have two sources for it here in Australia. Both are certified organic. One is called butter but it's the same as the oil I have (just different packaging) and the exact same source. Same CAS and all. When melted they look and smell the same. I wish I had some left from SEOC so I could show you. The butter is from SEOC and says:
Form: Very soft solid - liquid at 20°C.

I know it depends on the weather as to whether the one I buy is solid or not. It has a melting point of 20°c to 24˚C so if it's under that, it can be solid.

okay, so I went off on a search because I asked a teacher and they said it's the same. It's just different extraction methods.

There is no difference according to some very quick research done.
Objective:
This work aimed to deepen the knowledge about the crude oil of babassu fruit obtained by two different methods of extraction, cold pressing and extraction by cooking the fruit almond.

Method:
Total phenolic compounds contents and antioxidant activity were determined by ferric reducing antioxidant potential assay and 2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl radical scavenging capacity assay. By liquid chromatography, the content of different bioactive compounds was determined. Data was submitted to Analysis of Variance (ANOVA) and compared by f test (p <0.05).

Results:
The results showed that for most of the bioactive compounds there was no difference between the two types of babassu oil. For those compounds where the oils differed, the virgin oil had about three times the content of the extra-virgin oil. In addition, the antioxidant activity was higher for the oil extracted by cooking of the babassu mass, ranging from approximately 2.5 times higher up to 19.2 times higher than the antioxidant activity of the babassu oil extracted by pressing.

"Conclusion:
The process of extraction by cooking the almond mass can incorporate a larger number of bioactive components and improve the antioxidant activity of the virgin babassu oil. However, the extraction method does not influence the content of tocopherols of distinct types of babassu oil."
Antioxidant Activity and Bioactive Compounds of Babassu

Latest posts

Back