The Complete Soapmaker 19th Century Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29398

Reaction score
Years ago I made this and thought it was a very nice soap. Well, now I can’t find my book (moving and lots of stuff is in boxes). If you have a copy on your shelf, could you list out the ingredients for me?

Lest anyone get concerned, lists of ingredients are not copyrighted in the US.

https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ33.pdf

I believe I had that book too but I can't remember where it is. Have you checked your local library? If your library doesn't have it, they may be able to request it from another library. There's also half.com. I found a replacement for a out of print cook book that I once lost.

Thanks for posting that link IL, pretty sure I used to have that book. It might be the book that I made my first (failed) batch from many moons ago.

Thanks but that link doesn’t show me that recipe, just the specialty soap section. Can you see that recipe?

I believe I had that book too but I can't remember where it is. Have you checked your local library? If your library doesn't have it, they may be able to request it from another library. There's also half.com. I found a replacement for a out of print cook book that I once lost.
I haven’t gotten to my new library yet but that is a great idea. I know I have the book but based on a quick eBay search it wouldn’t cost much to replace/get a second copy so that is another good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago I made this and thought it was a very nice soap. Well, now I can’t find my book (moving and lots of stuff is in boxes). If you have a copy on your shelf, could you list out the ingredients for me?
Here's what I found at the link posted for the book:

44 oz tallow
30 oz olive oil
28 oz lard
14 oz lye
41 oz cold water

The recipe assumes you know what to do with those ingredients.

Happy soaping!

Thank. you! I do indeed know what do with the ingredients. Your timing is perfect, I just finished rendering some tallow yesterday. I will cut the batch in 1/2 or less though - that would use up ALL the tallow I just made :)

How weird - I just tried the link again and THIS time it took me to that recipe page. Weird. Thank you again.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was doing my research, I made a basic recipe that is easy to reemmber. It's called the Big Gulp Method of Dr Pepper Soap.

I also refer to it as a one pound batch because you start with one poind of oils. but you want to use a 32 oz cup to make it. the perfect way to try oput a new recipe.

Dr Pepper: the old Dr Pepper slogan was 10, 2 and 4. so, 10 ounces of your main oil (tallow or palm) 4 ounces coconut oil, 2 ounces olive oil.
with that you need a cup of water and 2 oz of lye. all if this can be made in a big gulp cup. it is a great way to try any new recipe, using one pound of oils and a big gulp in order to test a new recipe. and then, of course, scaling is easy.

Agree - a one pound batch is a great way to test out a new recipe. This actually is an old recipe for me...I made it years ago many times. When I first started making soap, my first book was The Complete Soapmaker. Only took me a few of her big batches to then find a soap calculator and start making smaller batches. I do love a nice big batch of soap though sometimes but most often make 1-3 pound batches. I normally work in grams though so really 500-1500 g batches.

When I was doing my research, I made a basic recipe that is easy to reemmber. It's called the Big Gulp Method of Dr Pepper Soap.

I also refer to it as a one pound batch because you start with one poind of oils. but you want to use a 32 oz cup to make it. the perfect way to try oput a new recipe.

Dr Pepper: the old Dr Pepper slogan was 10, 2 and 4. so, 10 ounces of your main oil (tallow or palm) 4 ounces coconut oil, 2 ounces olive oil.
with that you need a cup of water and 2 oz of lye. all if this can be made in a big gulp cup. it is a great way to try any new recipe, using one pound of oils and a big gulp in order to test a new recipe. and then, of course, scaling is easy.

Hope you run it through a soap calc. Different oils have different SAP values and require different amounts of lye. This could be extremely lye heavy. Would never follow a recipe like this.

Latest posts

Back