The beginners' guide to Castile vs. Bastile craft soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whichever the case.. (Bastile or otherwise).. Castile soap is a better option when it comes to beauty/skincare as well (ofcourse, along with its other cleaning uses and properties)..

Whichever the case.. (Bastile or otherwise).. Castile soap is a better option when it comes to beauty/skincare as well (ofcourse, along with its other cleaning uses and properties)..
Welcome to the forum, @maplexnaturals. It would be great if you headed over to the Introduction Forum to introduce yourself and share a little bit about your soaping background. :)

Regarding your statement above, I must respectfully disagree. 100% olive oil soaps make my skin very dry and itchy, so they are not a good option for me at all. The only OO soap that I've been able to use without itching is a Bastile version of ZNSC with goat milk added.

I'm not the only one whose skin dislikes high olive oil soaps. There truly is no one-size-fits-all, which is why many of us here started making soaps. :)

What is Bastile soap?
It is a nickname created by a soapmaker in times past, for a sort-of Castile soap that uses less than 100% olive oil. For instance, my bastile soap is 75% OO, 20% CO, and 5% castor oil. You can read the earlier posts in this thread that go into more detail; in fact, the very first post goes into a lot of detail about it. :)

FWIW, waaay before the arrival of the internet and soap making groups and forums, there were 2 popular U.S. purveyors of Castile Soap -- Kirk's Castile (100% coconut oil) and Dr. Bronner's Castile (Organic Coconut Oil*, Organic Palm Oil*, Sodium Hydroxide**, Water, Organic Olive Oil*, Mentha Arvensis, Organic Hemp Seed Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Mentha Piperita, Sea Salt, Citric Acid, Tocopherol).

The legal definition of "Castile" is "contains no animal fats". Kirk's Castile went to court a few years back to secure that tradition.

"Castile" and "Bastile" are simply soap makers jargon, i.e., "special words or expressions that are used by a particular profession or group and are difficult for others to understand."

In other words, your "Bastile" is legally a "Castile" as long as it contains no animal fats. But you will have trouble communicating that fact on SMF where many members insist that castile is 100% olive oil.

Just something to keep in mind. :thumbs:;)

Latest posts

Back