Technique experiment

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this is a great new idea and it got my wheels turning with ideas as well. I was wondering about it adhering also and if it would hold with use. I gel my soaps too and may have to experiment with this myself and see. Thanks for sharing @Todd Ziegler
If you get your soap hot enough, you will get a soap weld. If you look at the picture close enough, you can see where the strips have fused together. If someone does not gell there soaps I'm not sure how it will work. However all you have to do is is get it hot enough for the strips to bond together, rather than fusing.

This is an awesome use for "off" soap! I'm in a soap funk right now but when this phase passes..I'm going to try this new technique out. Thanks for sharing. One question...when you lay down the slices, I'm assuming the bottom layer is pretty well set?

This is an awesome use for "off" soap! I'm in a soap funk right now but when this phase passes..I'm going to try this new technique out. Thanks for sharing. One question...when you lay down the slices, I'm assuming the bottom layer is pretty well set?
Some what set. I let the first layer set up enough to keep the slices from sinking to the bottom. Yet fluid enough to make contact with the whole slice. You want to lay it down gently, rather then just plopping it in. This will keep it from getting air pockets underneath it. Also gelling your soap is a good idea because the heat helps form a bond with the slices. The temperature really depends on how old and hard your slices are. If your slices are still soft then you can get away with a 100° - 120°F but if they are harder then you will need a higher temperature.

I hope I didn't confuse you? It really is easy. Also make sure you are using a FO that you know behaves well and slow to trace oils will give you time to work on your design. Some times I create the shapes and let them sit out over night so they will hold their shape better. I wish I had more pictures of what I have made but the soaps are gone and I didn't take any pictures.

Hmmm, well, I s'pose you'll just have to make more and take pics, hey? ;)
I did a two a three of months ago but I didn't think about taking pictures of them before I gave the soap away to the women's shelter.

I almost didn't post this picture but I thought why not. I have two 2lb loafs hardening that I am going to slice up and they should be good to go by next weekend. I hope to have my big planer back by then.

The strips that I used curled a little but I placed them on wax paper and flattened them out by pressing them down and then let them sit for a while.

If you weight the down with something heavy on top of some plastic wrap, you can prevent the curling. But you'd have to leave the weight on until you are ready to used them as they will curl without the weight if left to the open air too long.

If you weight the down with something heavy on top of some plastic wrap, you can prevent the curling. But you'd have to leave the weight on until you are ready to used them as they will curl without the weight if left to the open air too long.
The slices only curled a little bit. And they were thick enough that when I pressed on them they straightened out, plus they stuck to the wax paper and couldn't curl back up.

Some what set. I let the first layer set up enough to keep the slices from sinking to the bottom. Yet fluid enough to make contact with the whole slice. You want to lay it down gently, rather then just plopping it in. This will keep it from getting air pockets underneath it. Also gelling your soap is a good idea because the heat helps form a bond with the slices. The temperature really depends on how old and hard your slices are. If your slices are still soft then you can get away with a 100° - 120°F but if they are harder then you will need a higher temperature.

I hope I didn't confuse you? It really is easy. Also make sure you are using a FO that you know behaves well and slow to trace oils will give you time to work on your design. Some times I create the shapes and let them sit out over night so they will hold their shape better. I wish I had more pictures of what I have made but the soaps are gone and I didn't take any pictures.
No confusion...thank you very much.

I thought this little experiment posting would have gotten more attention than it has but maybe I should have labeled it better. Or people just aren't interested in a new way to do a pencil line. Lol.

I‘m still technically on vacation. But it IS a very interesting technique.

Last edited:
D85006B8-5C68-4CE0-8E7B-9E9D5F95516F.jpeg
That is great can't wait to see it.
And here is the cut...I’m liking it! Zieg Lines!
BD4ADC71-3235-42A2-8886-AC049DF1F445.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back