Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am newish to soap making. I made a perfect batch of this before and this mornings batch had these strange tan/grey streaks in the soap when I cut it. The bars from a mold (same batter) did not have this.

I used the usual olive oil, Shea butter, coco butter, castor oil coconut oil combo but added sodium lactate to the lye and blended in some colloidal oats. Is it the oat powder?

Attachments

• PXL_20231224_122054068.jpg
    PXL_20231224_122054068.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231224_122018880.jpg
    PXL_20231224_122018880.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
This is what's called "glycerin rivers". This pattern isn't formed from actual glycerin. Rivers are formed when the soap as a whole separates into areas of more translucent soap and more opaque soap.

The process is something similar to what happens when you put a bottle of cola into the freezer for too long. Clear ice crystals form surrounded by dark liquid syrup.

"Rivers" are common in soap, but sometimes they're more obvious as in this case. The most common reason for obvious rivers is if the soap got warm enough to go into gel and then cooled slowly. The use of pigmented colorants, especially higher dosages, often enhances the appearance of rivers.

Next time use less water if you want to minimize this effect. You didn't share your actual recipe so I can't offer more specific advice.

Welcome to the Forum! I'm jumping in here because I found this Forum the first time I got glycerin rivers! I was googling "tunnels" and "ridges." Using titanium dioxide and colorants that contain TD can increase the risk of glycerin rivers. To avoid it, now I set my lye to lye solution ratio at 32.5% and have pretty successfully avoided glycerin rivers. There is more info at Glycerine Rivers: Secret Revealed .

Just to reiterate, it's cosmetic only. Own it, Baby! I had a friend compliment me on creating beautiful "texture."

Welcome to the Forum! I'm jumping in here because I found this Forum the first time I got glycerin rivers! I was googling "tunnels" and "ridges." Using titanium dioxide and colorants that contain TD can increase the risk of glycerin rivers. To avoid it, now I set my lye to lye solution ratio at 32.5% and have pretty successfully avoided glycerin rivers. There is more info at Glycerine Rivers: Secret Revealed .

Just to reiterate, it's cosmetic only. Own it, Baby! I had a friend compliment me on creating beautiful "texture."
Good idea they will be rustic!

This is what's called "glycerin rivers". This pattern isn't formed from actual glycerin. Rivers are formed when the soap as a whole separates into areas of more translucent soap and more opaque soap.

The process is something similar to what happens when you put a bottle of cola into the freezer for too long. Clear ice crystals form surrounded by dark liquid syrup.

"Rivers" are common in soap, but sometimes they're more obvious as in this case. The most common reason for obvious rivers is if the soap got warm enough to go into gel and then cooled slowly. The use of pigmented colorants, especially higher dosages, often enhances the appearance of rivers.

Next time use less water if you want to minimize this effect. You didn't share your actual recipe so I can't offer more specific advice.
Thank you!

Thank you!

Thank you!

Latest posts

Back