Tallow/canola oil mixed shortening -Sunspun brand

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I wonder if anyone has used a mixed shortening, comprised of beef tallow and canola oil. I have SUNSPUN brand, and cannot seem to get an answer on percentages of beef/canola that are in it. Does anyone have an idea of what I should enter it as in the soap calculators?
Also, has anyone used Sunspun mixed shortening in their soaps?

Have you tried emailing the company and asking the percentages? If you explain you are using it for soap, maybe they will tell you.

I've done that before with blended oils and had no issues getting the info. I'd also ask if the canola is regular or high oleic.

Have you tried emailing the company and asking the percentages? If you explain you are using it for soap, maybe they will tell you.

I've done that before with blended oils and had no issues getting the info. I'd also ask if the canola is regular or high oleic.
I tried phoning the phone number on the box today. (It is the phone number of a large grocery store chain, not the actual maker) They could not give me answers, but did give me phone numbers of their supplier to try...I have left messages, but no response yet. Good idea to ask about regular of high oleic as well.. if they call me back, I will be sure to ask that as well.
I find it strange that I cannot find a phone number for Sunspun -maybe it is a brand and not the actual company?!

Thank you so much! I will try that.

I tried calling them, but they are just suppliers and not the producers, so the woman could not find any info either. I did call Spectra Foods that makes blended shortening (in hopes that they made Sunspun brand) but I am actually guessing that Sunspun will be similar to their blended shortening -which is about 95% beef tallow, and only about 5% canola oil (plain, not high oleic). I will be basing my recipes on that until I get a definite answer.
Meanwhile, I was imagining that there was a higher percentage of canola oil yesterday when I tried it in a couple of batches of soap....it will be nice & hard, but perhaps rather harsh (not moisturizing) hanger swirl soaps.jpg hard pink swirl soaps.jpg

Nice soaps :)

I imagine it's the amount of tallow plus the amount of coconut oil (assuming you used it lol) that's making it drying. Canola actually makes nice soap, if you can get away from possible DOS. Give it time to cure, it should be milder.

Thanks. I am going by my revised soap calculator page, in assuming it will be a little drying. The hardness is 60, conditioning only 35. If my mixed shortening is about 95% tallow, then I used over 15 oz. tallow, .8 oz canola oil, 9 oz. coconut oil and 1.5 oz castor oil. Plus a little sweet almond oil in my colours and essential oils. I am still happy with it, and it will be interesting to see how drying they are in a few weeks. I am glad that the soap was hard anyway to be able to come out of the molds so well.

Just thought to get back to you as I got the Sunspun mixed shortening at a great price today. Using the soapmakingfriend calculator I think this particular blend is 85% Tallow and 15% Canola. Using the Saturated fat at 5g to total fat at 10g.

Hi,
Thanks for your response. How does the soapmakingfriend calculator let you know that the Sunspun blend is 85%/15%? Or, is it just a guess regarding the proportions? I put in a query to the manufacturer of the shortening (Bunge), but I have had no response.

;)Let’s hope I can explain this. But take this with a grain of salt until @DeeAnna Confirms it.

so for 10g of fat, Saturated fat is 5g right? On the label. That is 50% of the fat.

So on the calculator I did 100% Tallow and the sum of the saturated fatty acid is 58%. I now varied the percentage of Tallow with Canola till I got to the percentage that gave me a total of 50% fatty acid and that was 85/15 ratio. Do take note that it’s +- 2-3% either way because I noticed their lard was at 40% saturated fat but the calculator gave me a 42% for Lard. I suck at being a teacher I know but in my defence, I am at work and typing on my phone ;)

ETA: Yea it’s a guess

;)Let’s hope I can explain this. But take this with a grain of salt until @DeeAnna Confirms it.

so for 10g of fat, Saturated fat is 5g right? On the label. That is 50% of the fat.

So on the calculator I did 100% Tallow and the sum of the saturated fatty acid is 58%. I now varied the percentage of Tallow with Canola till I got to the percentage that gave me a total of 50% fatty acid and that was 85/15 ratio. Do take note that it’s +- 2-3% either way because I noticed their lard was at 40% saturated fat but the calculator gave me a 42% for Lard. I suck at being a teacher I know but in my defence, I am at work and typing on my phone ;)

Excellent! good to know! I am new at all of this. It helps alot. :)

No, you are a good teacher...I actually understand what you are saying and that is amazing....lol

Back