Tallow Bad for Skin?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ganiggle said:
Kitn said:
I like about 20% tallow in a soap, makes a nice hard bar with great qualities, I don't find it drying at all and I have very dry skin.

Kitn

Thanks! This is helpful. What do you usually mix it with?

I sent you a pm.:D

Kitn

I did find the comment to be a little harsh, but trust me, I am not in an "uproar"

Sorry any of you took it to be harsh, because it really wasn't meant to be harsh or any kind of broad statement against vegetarians. I would never critisize someone for thier life choices ....well I shouldn't say that because I absolutely would blast someone for being a child molestor or a rapist. :)

I should have worded it better, Sorry :oops: But honestly I feel that she wrote those things in her book with out any facts to back it up just to discourage people from using animal products in soap. Yup, it's all about views, when really it should be about letting everyone decide for themselves......acceptance of diversity.

I have not seen any fact to back up the authors statements being "untrue" either. I have not seen any fact to prove either side. I have googled a bit, but have not spent a lot of time on it. I was hoping someone else who is more passionate about it might have a study book marked.

I don't know that there are any studies on the effectg of tallow on the skin - it has however been a main ingredient for generations of soapmakers without too many harmful effectgs...

Playing devils advocate: For generations, people used kerosene for wound care and to clot blood. Just because it's always been done a certain way, but that does not mean it's the best choice.

... Butchers have some of the sofest hands out there - why? Becasue they have their hands in tallow & lard all day, every day.

The pores/skin on our hands are/is very diff from the pores/skin on our faces, necks, chests, areas more prone to clogged pores with more sensitivity.

When I make soap with lard (rarely) I label it HAWGWASH (goes well with my Flying Pig label) and say "this is like your grammaw's ole-fashioned lard soap - only better."

Well, since we're talkin' about vegetarians....

Whoever said being a meat-eater it makes sense, it's even responsible to use lard, tallow, etc is right on the money. Somehow it's akin to recycling. :D

Since I *don't* eat meat, I'm on the other side of the coin...and don't use animal fats. :D

To each their own, but now I'm sad that I rubbed my all-her-life-vegetarian-baby with animal fats...

:lol:

Latest posts

Back