Tallow Bad for Skin?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ganiggle

Reaction score
So I got this book called The Soapmakers Companion. I was reading up on tallow, and the author talks about how it may be bad for your skin by clogging pores and causing acne and stuff.

Before I decide to use it to make soap, I wanted to know what your experiences have been with tallow, and if you have found them to be bad for the skin. What percentages of it do you use? Also, what oils do you like to mix with it?

I appreciate the help!

Being a nearly newbie myself I have only made eight or so batches of soap, and the one I made with all tallow is a lovely hard soap but personally I think it is more drying for my skin than ones that are a mixture of animal fats and vegetable oils or all vegetable oil.

The one that is a blend of tallow, coconut oil and sunflower oil is lovely, but I can't say as yet whether it blocks the pores or not.

My favourite one so far is a blend of vegetable oil, coconut and olive oil, nice and gentle.

However, some people think that tallow and lard are great, and nothing I have learnt would disagree with them, so I think the answer to your question may be, although it may not be all that helpful, is that you have to try different sorts of soap to see which one is personally best for your skin. Good luck, let us know how you get on and what you think.

the first ingredient in a bar of Johnson's & Johnson's baby soap is tallow. it can't be horrible if it is the main ingredient in baby soap. *i think*

The author of that book is a vegetarian, so her veiw on tallow/animal products is jaded, biased and completely untrue. Tallow and or Lard make fine soaps, and the soaps do not clog pores. I have been making/using soaps with those ingredients for years along with my entire family (teens included) with no problems whatsoever. I'm sure lots of other people here will tell you the same. Adn you can't beat the hardness and creamy lather you get with soaps made with tallow and lard.

Now xraygirl, don't hold back. Tell us what you really think :wink:
Seriously though, I eat meat, so using lard and/or tallow seems logical, even responsible, but how do you list it in the ingredients? Do people seem to object? I've broached the subject with my "test subjects" (aka friends) and gotten a pretty consistent "ick" response. I guess I live in a kind of granola area...
Jim

I like about 20% tallow in a soap, makes a nice hard bar with great qualities, I don't find it drying at all and I have very dry skin.

Kitn

There is another thread like this with the same question. Here is a link to it:

http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewto ... ic&start=0

If this link does not work type comedogenic into the search box. There's more of the same sort of views expressed.

I don't think that Ganiggle was implying that using tallow or lard was wrong or horrible. She just wanted our opinion on whether using it in her soap might block her pores. I suppose if she was still worried and wanted to try tallow she could put something astringent in the soap, like cucumber or exfoliant like ground almonds, or use some clay in the soap which is supposed to be good for oily skin. :)

The author of that book is a vegetarian, so her view on tallow/animal products is jaded, biased and completely untrue.

Let's see how that shoe feels on the other foot.

The author of that book is a carnivore, so her view on tallow/animal products is jaded, biased and completely untrue.

The truth is diff people have diff skin types & have diff reactions to diff ingredients. We all draw on our personal experiences which are varied in accordance w/ our social, economic, religious and regional differences.

krissy said:
the first ingredient in a bar of Johnson's & Johnson's baby soap is tallow. it can't be horrible if it is the main ingredient in baby soap. *i think*

:wink: I WISH we could trust that sort of logic... but frankly I can't.

I have not tried soaping with tallow/lard and have no plans to. Still I have no particular reservations against doing so... it just doesn't interest me.

My dad made soap growing up on the farm using the fat from the pigs they raised. If I ever do decide to try it I think it would be more for the nostalgic reasons than because Johnson & Johnson do it.

xraygrl said:
The author of that book is a vegetarian, so her veiw on tallow/animal products is jaded, biased and completely untrue. Tallow and or Lard make fine soaps, and the soaps do not clog pores. I have been making/using soaps with those ingredients for years along with my entire family (teens included) with no problems whatsoever. I'm sure lots of other people here will tell you the same. Adn you can't beat the hardness and creamy lather you get with soaps made with tallow and lard.

Thanks! I had no idea she was a vegetarian, but I can see how that could make her view on animal products as jaded. Based on what everyone else in this thread has said about tallow, I am going to try it.

I'm going to try and get some sheep fat or cow fat from a local butcher and render it myself. I read up on the process of rendering and it seems like a lot of fun. I guess only time will tell if my skin reacts badly but hopefully not!

cleanwater said:
Now xraygirl, don't hold back. Tell us what you really think :wink:
Seriously though, I eat meat, so using lard and/or tallow seems logical, even responsible, but how do you list it in the ingredients? Do people seem to object? I've broached the subject with my "test subjects" (aka friends) and gotten a pretty consistent "ick" response. I guess I live in a kind of granola area...
Jim

I love to eat meat, it's my favorite of all food groups so making soap with it seems logical to me too. I must not live in a granola area because so far everyone I have asked have told me that they would love soap made from tallow. I do think it is great when all parts of the animal get used so why not get a really inexpensive ingredient for soap making?

It's better than the fat just getting thrown away.

Kitn said:
I like about 20% tallow in a soap, makes a nice hard bar with great qualities, I don't find it drying at all and I have very dry skin.

Kitn

Thanks! This is helpful. What do you usually mix it with?

Egzandra said:
I don't think that Ganiggle was implying that using tallow or lard was wrong or horrible. She just wanted our opinion on whether using it in her soap might block her pores. I suppose if she was still worried and wanted to try tallow she could put something astringent in the soap, like cucumber or exfoliant like ground almonds, or use some clay in the soap which is supposed to be good for oily skin. :)

You're right, I wasn't implying that using it was wrong at all. I really want to use it, but reading something that said it would block my pores just made me want to check with you guys to see if you have had the same experiences with it.

I probably wouldn't have been so worried if my skin wasn't already in bad shape. I'm 23 and have acne and my skin is very sensitive. It's so not fun at all.

Now xraygirl, don't hold back. Tell us what you really think

:D

Let's see how that shoe feels on the other foot.

The author of that book is a carnivore, so her view on tallow/animal products is jaded, biased and completely untrue.

The truth is diff people have diff skin types & have diff reactions to diff ingredients. We all draw on our personal experiences which are varied in accordance w/ our social, economic, religious and regional differences.

I agree people have diff skin types and react differently to diff ingredients. BUT, since she is vegetarian, she is puting info in her book that is only based on HER VIEWS, not backed up by any true facts. I have nothing against any vegetarians, in face some of my best friends are vegetarian or vegan. A lot of the Dr's I have worked for are vegetarians, but they never tried to push thier views/way of life on their employees or patients. I just don't like when people put NON FACTS out there just to serve their own agendas, and when I read that book, that was the impression I got. I know I'm not the only person who thinks this about this author.

I am all about tollerance of other peoples religions and beliefs, and I don't have any kind of agenda. In the same (dis)respect, I *could* say palm is BAD because of the destruction of the rainforests (yes I know there is sustainable palm out there) and spout off to everyone that palm is bad blah, blah, blah. BUT that is not me. I respect whatever ingregients people choose to use and thier reasons for using them.

I understand also that soaps with animal ingregients will not go over well in some areas, but be completely accepted in other areas. I've been around the soaping world a long time (12 yrs and counting) so I am very well aware. So don't get all in an uproar because I wasn't puting anyone donwn for their religios beliefs or eating/lifestyle choices. I just don't like people putting misinformation out there just to serve their own agenda. I respect their choice, and would expect only the same back. :)

I did find the comment to be a little harsh, but trust me, I am not in an "uproar" :p .

That is what books are though, information based on an authors views. For every study you find that states tallow is bad for your skin you will find a study saying tallow is good for your skin. It does depend on the individual and their skin needs

Will someone point me in the direction of a reputable study done on the affects of tallow on the skin? I have heard both sides of the issue, but can't seem to find evidence on either side.

I think the comment was a little harsh. Broad brush statements aren't usually helpful.

Harlow, I have no idea if there's ever been a study on lard, I know there were several on Emu, but I'm still not using it.

I don't know that there are any studies on the effectg of tallow on the skin - it has however been a main ingredient for generations of soapmakers without too many harmful effectgs other than the occassional lye burn which has less to do with tallow and a lot to do with the method of creating lye. Butchers have some of the sofest hands out there - why? Becasue they have their hands in tallow & lard all day, every day.

When I make a soap using Tallow - I list it as tallow. People who are looking fore a strictly vegan soap will ask for them and I point them to those particular soaps, which is most of my soaps. I live in a very granola area where there is actually a monthlty vegan pot-luck dinner so I am sensitive to their needs, however, I am also aware of what a nice soap tallow and lard creates so I have some of those too.

I make it a point to never voice my oipinions on herbivore, omnivore or carnivore, because like religion you can never voice the right opinion in the right tone of voice without offending or annoying someone, somewhere.

Tallow like palm is a personal choice if it doesn't offend you or go against your belief then it is definately worth a try. I buy mine from my local butcher but I do have to buy igt in huge quantities (45 lbs). Good think it is rendered and lasts..... :wink:

Latest posts

Back