Quantcast

Tallow as body butter?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Kateri

Reaction score
I’ve seen people online lately using whipped tallow as moisturizer, or including it in lotion bar recipes. Now I’m fine using animal fat in soap, since it’s not really a glob of animal fat anymore once it’s saponified. But have any of y’all tried it in a balm or butter type application? The people using it seem to really love it, but it seems like it’d be kind of gross marinating yourself in tallow or lard. But maybe I just don’t know and I’m missing out.

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I LOVE LOVE LOVE tallow balm. My understanding is that tallow is closest of all the animal fats to our skin's lipid profile.

On my skin, it absorbs easily, is non-greasy, and makes for very soft skin. IMO, it does need to be mixed with a liquid oil to be spreadable. I have mixed it with jojoba, argan, meadowfoam seed, and chamomile-infused or calendula-infused avocado oil. While I like the first three the best, I often default to avocado due to cost, or because it is what I have on hand.

Well-rendered tallow should have almost no smell, but I use EOs in mine anyway: chamomile, lavender, rosehip seed, geranium, litsea cubeba - any non-sensitizing EO. As someone who is very reactive to even diluted EOs on my skin (rapid heart rate, raised BP, etc.), I generally add the lower end of the skin-safe usage rate found on EOCalc.com or Tisserand.

ETA: Sweet almond oil and apricot seed oil are other nice oils to mix into a tallow balm!

amd

Reaction score
There is a local-ish maker (she's 90-ish miles away) who makes buffalo tallow products - lotions, body bars and such. She has enough of a following that she has a brick & mortar at the mall.

Latest posts