best body butter I've made yet, w recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
it's super non greasy
i've never used shea before in my bbutters, but wow it's alot less greasy
also cutting the olive w coconut helped
those menthol crystals are doing some magic
i use it for shaving cream, post-shaving balm, leave-in conditioner / mousse / gel for body, and skin moisturizer whenever i'm a bit dry for whatever reason
868Yld.jpg

Could I ask what the alcohol is for?

ethyl alcohol is good for the skin, good for the hair, good extra preservative, gives nice tingle to post-shaving balm, everything allgood aruyvedic multiplier
this alcohol from the Organic Alcohol Company was distilled via column distillation because it strips out more of the impurities and congeners, which are substances other than the desired ethanol produced during fermentation
this is primarily a pre-shaving lotion that's activated w soap w clay for slip
this soap has moroccan (red), french (green), & kaolin clays
also use alot of it in the summertime for sunscreen
it's greasy enough to shave w wet but when dry is plenty non-greasy enough to be used as nice lotion or post-shaving balm
ZLklOe.jpg

this worked good for me when I transitioned to wet shaving using old-fashioned all-steel safety razor

Last edited:
I was wondering the same thing. Hopefully @johnnyusa can share his purpose for using it. Apparently many folks only dissolve their menthol crystals in alcohol, but it isn't strictly necessary. They dissolve quite well in the EO mix, although it does take a little longer than alcohol.
i dissolved the crystals in hot oils around 125 F before removing melting pot from double boiler, remove pot, wait for it to cool under 120 F before adding alcohol and EOs, immediately mix w chopstick and pour into glass jars
i tried putting one of the jars in the fridge during the cooling phase and didn't prefer that one later
i didn't whip it bc i haven't ever tried that

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your process, and the reason for using the alcohol. Personally I avoid that in products applied to my skin, because for me, it's extremely drying. But I think men's skin in general tends to tolerate it better.

Latest posts

Back