Syndet shampoo bar recipe help needed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the original DIY pressed 'powder' bar. I also purchased the pourable one but the one batch I made was way too soft and never did harden up (obviously my error). I can't keep the original pressed ones in stock. I also use Humblebee and Me's conditioning bar (which I absolutely love for my hair - thick and straight). Vanilla Spice Conditioner Bar - Humblebee & Me

I use the original DIY pressed 'powder' bar. I also purchased the pourable one but the one batch I made was way too soft and never did harden up (obviously my error). I can't keep the original pressed ones in stock. I also use Humblebee and Me's conditioning bar (which I absolutely love for my hair - thick and straight). Vanilla Spice Conditioner Bar - Humblebee & Me
I also had trouble with my first batch of hot pour bars being too soft. I don’t know why, either. Every batch I’ve made since then has been great. They are a tad softer than the pressed powder bars, but not much.

I also had trouble with my first batch of hot pour bars being too soft. I don’t know why, either. Every batch I’ve made since then has been great. They are a tad softer than the pressed powder bars, but not much.
Oh that is good to know actually, thanks. I just didn't want to waste the supplies retrying it if that is the way they are. None of my "testers - guinea pigs (family) lol " liked them at all. Plus the ingredients are so expensive, and some of them were on back order for quite a while, I think I might try to rebatch the few I still have left over.

I felt the same and didn’t remake them for months afterwards. Then I received some decyl glucoside and jojoba oil on destash, which motivated me to try again.

I have remelted mine in a Pyrex measuring cup in the microwave, which made pouring easy and cleanup a breeze. If you try that, maybe add a bit of cornstarch or rice starch (flour) for hardening. I’d use the rice personally since it is reportedly wonderful for hair. Would love to hear the results if you do remelt!

I felt the same and didn’t remake them for months afterwards. Then I received some decyl glucoside and jojoba oil on destash, which motivated me to try again.

I have remelted mine in a Pyrex measuring cup in the microwave, which made pouring easy and cleanup a breeze. If you try that, maybe add a bit of cornstarch or rice starch (flour) for hardening. I’d use the rice personally since it is reportedly wonderful for hair. Would love to hear the results if you do remelt!
Oh that is excellent. I will rebatch an definitely post results. I used hydrolyzed rice protein for that reason as well. Good idea about the rice starch, thank you.

I make both kinds. I've made and rewarmed the Pourable bars so that I could press them; I didn't like the rustic look of the pourable ones in the mold; no matter what I did, I could not get the tops nice and smooth.

Attachments

• Shampoo remake.png
    Shampoo remake.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Someone asked a page or two back about putting syndet shampoo bars in the freezer and someone else responded that freezing made it easier to unmold the bars.

I agree that chilling freshly made bars can be helpful to get them to unmold cleanly. I only refrigerate the bars for several hours, however, and they come out of the molds nicely.

After unmolding the bars, I store them in the refrigerator as well until I'm ready to use one. I have the luxury of a second fridge for storing garden produce and beverages. I store "best if kept cool" ingredients for my lotions and potions in the veggie drawers of this fridge.

Anyways, the fridge is a frost-free type so the humidity in the fridge is low. Storing freshly made bars in this refrigerator helps them dry down and keeping them in the fridge until I need them helps the bars stay dry and clean.

I don't think this is a "make or break" factor for the bars I make -- just a tweak. If I didn't have enough refrigerator (or freezer) space, I wouldn't bother.

The only downside to this is if you add fragrance to the shampoo bars -- the scent can be absorbed by lightly wrapped food anywhere in the refrigerator, including the freezer. Having bread that smells like FO was a hard learned lesson and is the reason why I no longer scent my shampoo bars. ;)

Last edited:
I find that refrigerated bars only get condensation once out in the humid air again. So it's kind of a 'damned it you, damned if you don't' situation. You put them in to whisk away moisture, and then you take them out and it all comes back again.
Here's my most recently poured bars. I've moved to the square shape because I find them much easier to hold and less likely to break once they get small and thin.
IMG_9533.JPG

Latest posts

Back