Supplier Question... or 'My lanolin isn't sheepy and I'm worried'

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJHollyJ

Reaction score
Long time stalker, first time poster...

I've ordered USP lanolin in small batches from a few suppliers (Brambleberry, WSP, etc) and they've all had that natural sheepy scent (best way I can describe it ;-) )...

I needed much larger qty for a better price, so I went with J Edwards (Bulknaturaloils). I got a tub and opened it up.... no sheepy smell. I kinda did a :eh: and then saw the 'china' country of origin on the side.

Now... I'm not typically one who eschews Chinese made products as a rule, but they do make me wary (re: import issues with Honey from China being faked)... So, when I get lanolin with no smell, I have to wonder. Texture seems fine, color seems within grade... but no smell??

Annnnnnybody have experience here? (For ref, in what I'm making, the smell is expected and typical for the market-- lanolin balm for wool diaper covers)

Edit: to make this CP relevant... I needed the larger amounts to do CP lanolin soap along with the balm. While the smell won't stick much in the formula for the CP soap, I am still worried about the lack of sheepiness.

Last edited:
Is it possible there are different grades of lanolin? The only lanolin I've personally dealt with is Lansinoh ;) and that is orderless and supposedly 100% lanolin. Is it possible this lanolin from china is just refined more or something to remove the odor? I really don't know, just throwing out a suggestion.

Is it possible there are different grades of lanolin? The only lanolin I've personally dealt with is Lansinoh ;) and that is orderless and supposedly 100% lanolin. Is it possible this lanolin from china is just refined more or something to remove the odor? I really don't know, just throwing out a suggestion.

IME, Lansinoh is refined so highly (think BEYOND USP) because of the type of use it has (boobs and babies)... that all sheep is removed. The color is actually taken out in the process, it's been so highly refined.

I just don't feel like I got a more refined product for less money than a less refined product? I could be wrong... just not sure if anybody has had that experience in ordering bulk before. (or in ordering from JEdwards) kwim? :grin:

No experience, sorry, but could you just talk to your supplier about the process and the level of refinement? They should be able to tell you something.

Welcome to the bright lights of posting ;)

No experience, sorry, but could you just talk to your supplier about the process and the level of refinement? They should be able to tell you something.

I know, I know lol... I just wasn't completely sure I'd get a straight answer. Sometimes you get the 'teenage son of the owner, who is on summer break' (ask me about my kitchen counters sometime... :roll: )

Welcome to the bright lights of posting ;)

Noooooooo..... *DON'T SEE MEEEEE*

The term lanolin is used for mixes with wool fat and vaseline or vegetable oils too...

Last edited:
The term lanoline is used for mixes with wool fat and vaseline or vegetable oils too...

That's actually what I'm concerned about, actually. It's advertised as the actual wax, USP grade, no filler. However, I'm worried it was cut with another oil/wax by the exporter. I just didn't know if anybody else here had experience specifically with this issue/supplier. :/

Latest posts

Back