Superfatting in Hot Process soap making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M@e

Reaction score
Howdy, What is the rule of thumb when Superfatting in Hot process soap making? Is there an “X” amount per pound of soap?

I new to Hot Process soap making as I’ve only did one 3lb batch. I typically make cold process soaps.

I appreciate an feedback thanks!

Howdy, What is the rule of thumb when Superfatting in Hot process soap making? Is there an “X” amount per pound of soap?

I new to Hot Process soap making as I’ve only did one 3lb batch. I typically make cold process soaps.

I appreciate an feedback thanks!
There is no X amount. It's up to you how much to add. My personal rule is, the higher the cleansing factor in the calc, the higher my superfat. I don't usually go above 2-4% for regular soaps, unless they're brine or salt bars.

As far as I know only one calculator shows you specifically which is the % to add after the cook. The rest includes it in your total amount whether it's 3 or 5 or whatever %.

There is no X amount. It's up to you how much to add. My personal rule is, the higher the cleansing factor in the calc, the higher my superfat. I don't usually go above 2-4% for regular soaps, unless they're brine or salt bars.

As far as I know only one calculator shows you specifically which is the % to add after the cook. The rest includes it in your total amount whether it's 3 or 5 or whatever %.

Ok thanks for the feedback!!

I should further say that CP and HP superfat is essentially the same thing. If you've computed for whatever superfat you chose for CP soap there's no reason the amount has to be different for the HP version. Some don't even add it after the cook.

I should further say that CP and HP superfat is essentially the same thing. If you've computed for whatever superfat you chose for CP soap there's no reason the amount has to be different for the HP version. Some don't even add it after the cook.

ok, thanks for the information! That makes sense

Soapee.com also has the option to add SF after the cook

Now I'm wondering why I add the superfat to my oils and not after the cook ... after certainly makes far more sense.
It only makes a difference if you want that oil to stand out. That is, the oil you add after the cook is less likely to get saponified. For example, I recently made a hot process soap using mango butter as my SF, after the cook. It is still curing, so can't yet report if it feels different from a previous one where I used 5% SF, and added all the oils before the cook.

It only makes a difference if you want that oil to stand out. That is, the oil you add after the cook is less likely to get saponified. For example, I recently made a hot process soap using mango butter as my SF, after the cook. It is still curing, so can't yet report if it feels different from a previous one where I used 5% SF, and added all the oils before the cook.

Haha, good point! :)

Ok thanks!!

Soapee.com also has the option to add SF after the cook

ok I will check it out! Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the others, HP superfat is the same as CP superfat, except you can choose if you want to add it before or after saponification.
I'd be very interested in an update once you're ready to test your soap!

Back