Super scrubby salt soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiddlyO

Reaction score
The first time that I made salt soap I didn't have enough sea salt for my recipe so I searched my cupboards for some kind of salt and found some fancy salt spice blend (see pic) that I had bought and never used, so I put that in. It looked disgusting - like a piece of stodgy grey nasty bread, and smelled disgusting, but it was absolutely magical on my skin! It was very very scrubby and would probably be painful to use all over, but I love it on my upper arms and legs - it really exfoliates well.

I want to recreate this, but make it prettier and nice smelling. I've got a batch curing that I made using whole chai spices that I coarsly ground just before I used them, I've also done some with poppy seeds and some with dessicated coconut, but really want a nice scratchy scrubby body bar. I don't really want to use sand (but I will probably try eventually if I don't find what I'm looking for), but how does cornmeal or coffee or pumice turn out. I want SUPER scritchy scratchy exfoliation but I don't want to break my skin.

The only threads I've found are for not scratchy salt bars - can anyone share an additive to make one that is super scratchy?

:)

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1400277990.688265.jpg

Any dried herb should be scrubby but if you want it really scratchy, look for real salt sea salt. It has little pieces of mineral rich clay in it that won't dissolve as you use the bar. Its pretty much sand and is scratchy enough that it left red streaks all over me.
Another option would be really finely ground coffee, I've been meaning to make a salt bar with coffee grinds.

I use ground walnut shells. Really nice on the arms and legs. Quite rounded though so doesn't cut the skin at all. It's like very fine sand.

I don't have much left - hubby got it at a spa he used to work in. I don't know where I am going to get more from.

Oh good. I've never thought to look. I have about a cup left.

Latest posts

Back