Sunflower Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garden Gives Me Joy

Reaction score
Since sunflower alone or in a high percentage will make a very soft bar soap, won't it be ideal as an olive oil substitute for a liquid 'castille-type' soap? I am also thinking about adding palm kernel oil for cleansing. Happy for any thoughts.

Whether a particular fat makes a firm or soft NaOH soap doesn't necessarily translate to any particular useful property in liquid soap. It's the use of KOH that allows a liquid soap to be liquid.

Also, there are different variants of sunflower (and other liquid fats). They come in high oleic, mid oleic, and high linoleic types. So it's important to distinguish which version you're talking about, since the soap each version makes can be quite different. I make a high oleic sunflower soap using NaOH and it's plenty firm.

Are you following any particular method or tutorial for making your liquid soap? Hot process? Cold process? Superfatted or lye heavy?

Setting up the recipe correctly is pretty important, and we'd like you to get started on the right foot.

Welcome, by the way. Please visit our Introduction forum and tell us a little about yourself -- we'd like to get to know you!

Latest posts

Back