Sugar Scrub confusion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twilitr

Reaction score
Ok, so i wanna add sugar scrubs to my gift giving list this year. I made a little batch with Coconut oil and white sugar...i love the way it leaves your hands soft. So i guess my ? is this. IF there is no water in the mix then why the need for a preservitive? I added glycerin as well to help it not harden up. (i was using the 76*) would i need to get fractionated CO? also what would be a good "expiration date" for these? i wanna keep it as basic as possible, after the holidays i will get Sweet Almond Oil since i have read godd stuff about that as well. How would you get the scrub to foam up for someone requesting that as well? thansk everyone

Wet hands will dip into the jar & deposit both water & bacteria. Even if you use a spoon, steam will get into the mix.

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but I am also interested in making some sugar scrubs WITHOUT any preservative. I understand how hands dipping into a jar would introduce bacteria and water causing it to grow nasty stuff, but would it be appropriate to mix up a small batch and place enough into a container as a "one time use" item. You could use those little condiment style cups with the clear lid and sell them like that couldn't you? What do you all think....I am just throwing an idea out there.

If it's for personal use only. Sometimes I do make a very simple scrub (just some salt, sugar & oils/butters) and use it right away.
But for selling & giving away, no preservative isn't an option.

This is why I am so interested in the sugar cube scrub. No need for preservative as it is 1. soap and 2. in single-use portions.

Zenobiah said:
This is why I am so interested in the sugar cube scrub. No need for preservative as it is 1. soap and 2. in single-use portions.

Zenobiah - I have never heard of these, but sound really neat...how do you do it?

sugar is a natural preservative in itself, it inhibits bacterial growth caused by heat or steam. Vitamin E, to my knowledge and understanding, is an atioxidant that is used to preserve oils and would be good to use in a sugar scrub.

sugar is a natural preservative in itself, it inhibits bacterial growth caused by heat or steam. Vitamin E, to my knowledge and understanding, is an atioxidant that is used to preserve oils and would be good to use in a sugar scrub.

Sugar may act as a preservative in some situation, such as canning fruit, but it is not the sugar alone or you would not have to boil the jars to suck the air out.

It will not keep a scrub from growing bacteria.

Sugar IS a natural preservative at high enough levels - but in a scrub or other product into which water is likely to be introduced, another preservative is pretty much mandatory. This is because in those small puddles of bath water or condensation in the jar the concentration of sugar isn't high enough.

Vitamin E, well actually you want mixed tocopherols but Vit E is close enough for now, is a fairly effective antioxidant - so while your preservative will aid in protecting your scrub against mold and bacteria, your vitamin E can help protect against rancidity.

If you're adding glycerin into an oil-based scrub, it'll separate eventually since water (glycerin is water soluble) and oil does not mix without an emulsifier. If coconut 76 is too stiff for you, I'd recommend just dropping it altogether and using a liquid oil instead (such as FCO or Sweet Almond).

I believe there is a thread with a recipe in the photo forum. Pretty recent too. Sorry I don't have time to find the direct link right now.

I missed the glycerin part - with that you double MUST have a preservative as that is a humectant and will help draw moisture out of the air (think steamy, hot bathroom) and it will be even more likely to end up with water in it.

and yes - without an emulsifier and a good beating the glycerin will separate out. :(

not to beat this subject to death, but any suggestions for "natural" preservatives? would rosemary oil extract or something similar work?

Latest posts

Back