Sugar Cubes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone else asked about how you expert sugar cube makers get your layers so neat. I'd love to know as well. And maybe some other ideas about how to layer (like those rounded layers in the picture at the top of this page - like little watermelon slices. Those are awesome and I have no idea how to make that happen. Thanks!!

Here's my first attempt. I used an ice cube tray, only filling the space half full. Tried a scrub this morning - very nice!

1/4 cup oil - aloe vera oil/shea butter
1/2 cup CP shreds - already scented with Black Raspberry Vanilla FO
3/4 cup white sugar
a few drops of cheap liquid color

It was a little crumbly, so I reheated it all and added a little bit more shea. They are smooshy, but hold together. This recipe made 12 scrubs.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Cool! Love the lavender color. Another version of "cube"! I'm so loving these I made up a batch and just left it in the measuring cup and sat it by my sink in the bathroom.

I made another batch of layered. I have those square brownie bite pans. I had dh make me a wooden block the size of the pan and packed them in tight. In my first try it wasn't to bad even my 3 year old got hers pretty even. Now with that block they are perfect!

Jezzy - what a great idea! I am going to see if my DH will make me one too. That would help alot.

Well, I tried making some... mine are a little oily. Are they supposed to be kind of wet? I coated them with white sugar and they look better. I'm using grapeseed oil because it is light and absorbs into the skin pretty well. I'm wondering if I should try using the coconut oil instead.

I'm so excited to try this - going to make some in IKEA ice cube trays this weekend. I hate to be a pest, but I would LOVE to know how those layers are done. Nobody seems to be responding. Thanks in advance!

Hi Judy,

I've found that when using a lighter liquid oil that i need to up
the sugar and/or soap shreds a bit to compensate.

It also depends on if you are going for a smooshy cube for the
shower or a crumbly cube.

I'd also say that for the oil part in the cubes if you use half
butters to half oils the cubes seem to turn out much much better.
(your skin will love it too) Butters just help re-solidify and
seem less oily but occasionally more greasy.

OTOH - I do also firmly beleive that you can make any
oil work well in the cubes if you just compensate in the
other parts of the batch.

SudsyKat -

Layers are sort of just, layered ya know.
If you google a bit you can come up with some
technique ideas too.

I don't think you are a pest but i'd like to point out that
the layered ones in the previous post look like "inspiration"
ideas from outside people not techniques that the poster
may know how to do yet. Who knows if the owners
of those cubes are are this forum ya know?

If you are going for the watermelon layers i'd suggest
following the same type of technique as The Soap Queen
Melt & Pour tricks for the watermelon but do it in Sugar
cube batter instead. It's worked for me.

http://soap-queen.blogspot.com/2010/07/ ... ummer.html

Thanks for the advice Mayren... I am going to try the 50/50 oils/butters :) I've already tried a couple of the sugar scrubs and they are awesome!

Mayren - thanks for the link. I've read stuff about how to layer soap, but with the sugar cubes, I wasn't sure if there was a special technique to make sure that the layers stick together. I'll do some more research. I'm thinking I'll smush the first layer hard, then put a little bit more of the first layer on and smush it gently. Then I'll add the second layer and smush it down hard on the first. Experimentation will be fun, I'm sure. And I can't wait to try them in the shower!

SudsyKat said:
I'm so excited to try this - going to make some in IKEA ice cube trays this weekend. I hate to be a pest, but I would LOVE to know how those layers are done. Nobody seems to be responding. Thanks in advance!

I answered :) I even posted pics of my first layered cubes :wink:

I mixed and made up one batch. Filled my form 1/2 way. Packed it down and popped it in the freezer until my 2nd batch was ready. Then I filled up the rest of the form with the second color. It was pretty easy.

Mayren said:
Hi Judy,

I've found that when using a lighter liquid oil that i need to up
the sugar and/or soap shreds a bit to compensate.
Thanks for that bit of advice!

I guess, as with everything, it's about balance - and when you change one component you need to expect the whole thing to shift - and compensate.

Jezzy -You know, I did see your pics and I must have forgotten. Thanks for sharing - they're very cool. It's interesting to me that you froze the first part while preparing the second. I don't have the experience to back this up, but intuitively, I would think that to get the layers to mesh together well, you'd need to have a bit of looseness in the top of the first layer. Apparently, your turned out just great, though, so maybe I'll do what you did.

SudsyKat said:
I am going to guess the mold is filled half full them something flat is used to press it firm & flat, then the mold is topped off & it's pressed again.

Back