substitute for sweet almond oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chicklet

Reaction score
I made shampoo bars several weeks ago that I'm really liking and wanted to make another batch and you know it is, I want to make them NOW :) but I'm out of sweet almond oil. The recipe is basically 8 oz each of 4 oils: sweet almond, coconut, olive, and castor, with .7 oz of jojoba. Sweet almond has a SAP of 137. Hazlenut has a SAP of 136 and I have that but I read that it goes rancid quickly (and of course I read that after I bought it). Almond oil is 134 and I have that. Olive and Canola are close in SAP and I have those. Has anybody had experience substituting something for sweet almond oil? Is it just about the SAP or is there some quality in almond oil that I would be giving up that I might need? Should I try and talk myself into waiting until I can get some sweet almond oil? :)

It's not all about the SAP. It's got great moisturizing properties without being greasy or heavy. So, I'd find an oil that has similar properties (hazelnut, jojoba, high oleic camellia, fco, etc) then rerun the recipe through a lye calculator.

Back