Substitute for olive oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use high oleic sunflower oil in place of olive oil which is much more expensive for me. I usually use around 30 % and have not noticed a difference yet since I only switched recently.
I was thinking of making 100 % high oleic sunflower oil CP soap and treating it as 100 % olive oil soap with prolonged curing.

I get mine in bulk from Riceland. I have never had a problem with DOS when using their oil.

http://www.ricebranoil.info/why/

Oh, that is interesting. I use Riceland RBO, as well, but I had never considered it as High Oleic, but as your link shows, it is higher oleic than all the soap/lye calculators I've seen show.

I have heard that rice bran oil causes DOS. If so does that make it a poor substitute for olive oil or is my information incorrrect?

You may find the article below helpful. Notice the section wherein she talks about a combined total of the 2 fatty acids, linolenic and linoleic. "limit your linoleic and linolenic sum to 15% or less, as you have an increasingly larger risk above 15% to see DOS" (LINK to article)

Oh, that is interesting. I use Riceland RBO, as well, but I had never considered it as High Oleic, but as your link shows, it is higher oleic than all the soap/lye calculators I've seen show.

You may find the article below helpful. Notice the section wherein she talks about a combined total of the 2 fatty acids, linolenic and linoleic. "limit your linoleic and linolenic sum to 15% or less, as you have an increasingly larger risk above 15% to see DOS" (LINK to article)
Thanks!!

In all my years of soaping I've found almond oil to be the best sub for olive oil, especially in castiles. I once made 100% almond oil liquid shampoo that lathered up and cleansed surprisingly well. Also, Oat & Honey castile with 95% almond oil + 5% castor. HP hard bars.

Back