Substitute for olive oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello and welcome! Be sure to go to the introduction forum to tell us a bit about yourself and your experience.

To answer your question, you can substitute Olive oil with pretty much any liquid oil. High Oleic oils are the best, Sunflower, Safflower, Avocado (not in high amounts), Rice Bran Oil. Just be sure to run it through a soap calculator before changing any oils.

Can I substitute olive oil for soybean oil?
Soybean oil contains a high percentage of polyunsaturated oils (linoleic and linolenic). Olive oil (OO) contains less of those fats. If the percentage of soybean oil in the recipe is small, subbing OO for soybean won’t have much effect on the soap qualities, but you should recalculate the amount of NaOH needed because OO requires a little less NaOH than soybean oil. Do you know how to use a soap calculator? If so, set it up for the recipe you have, print out the results, and then try substitutions to see how it changes the soap qualities. You can replace any oil with any other oil if you know how to use the calculator, keeping in mind that the soap qualities and amount of NaOH for the new recipe may be different.

Avocado Oil is not a good substitute unless you use it around 20%. It does get as hard as OO if using it 100% but has 0 and I mean 0 lather. It is even hard to produce lather with a bath pouf but it feels fantastic on the skin. Avocado Oil is lovely in soap at 20%. In my opinion, Rice Bran Oil is the best substitute for OO.

Hi! I have a lot of palm stearin and I don't know how can I use it. Does anyone have a good simple recipe for making soaps? Thank you.

Avocado Oil is not a good substitute unless you use it around 20%. It does get as hard as OO if using it 100% but has 0 and I mean 0 lather. It is even hard to produce lather with a bath pouf but it feels fantastic on the skin. Avocado Oil is lovely in soap at 20%. In my opinion, Rice Bran Oil is the best substitute for OO.
Do you think it might be difference in water? While it was a dual lye soap, I did make an 100% avocado oil soap and it gave some lather.
On another note, I do agree with having to cap the avocado oil. I've had some soaps start to DOS when I used higher amounts of that oil (think 40%). Good thing I made a small batch of that soap so I only had to use two bars or so up (lesson to the newbies: make small batches).

Do you think it might be difference in water? While it was a dual lye soap, I did make an 100% avocado oil soap and it gave some lather.
On another note, I do agree with having to cap the avocado oil. I've had some soaps start to DOS when I used higher amounts of that oil (think 40%). Good thing I made a small batch of that soap so I only had to use two bars or so up (lesson to the newbies: make small batches).
It could be a difference in water, since we do not have soft water. But I do use EDTA, Vinegar and Sodium Gluconate in all soaps.

I use rice bran oil as a substitute for olive oil.
I have heard that rice bran oil causes DOS. If so does that make it a poor substitute for olive oil or is my information incorrrect?

You might try safflower too. I have had good luck with it as a substitute.
One for one or is there a limit on safflower?

I use HO rice bran oil and have no problem with DOS.

I have not seen a HO RBO. Was that a typo, or do you actually have a source for HO RBO? And if so, where & what setting in your soap/lye calculator do you use? I only see one option for RBO in the the lye calculators I have looked at. Most have rice bran oil, refined with an oleic value of 38, but Medrulandria has the oleic value at 45.6; that's the only soap/lye calculator I have found with that high an Oleic value; but it also lists a different Sap value as well. One other I found has a lower value (32.6), but I don't actually ever use that one (lyecalc.com) except to look at sometimes (like now). Actually I really don't use Medrulandia, but I keep it in my bookmarks for it's multi-lingual function, and because I like having another reference.

1605280495665.png

I have heard that rice bran oil causes DOS. If so does that make it a poor substitute for olive oil or is my information incorrrect?
I have not experienced DOS from Rice Bran oil.* I replaced it in my recipes (30-35%) in 2018. One thing I did notice is that it has increased the rate that my soap gets to trace and sets up. I never used to struggle with accelerating batches, but since I switched it took a bit of training to figure out how to work with the acceleration. I get my RBO from Soapers Choice.

*I will say that I have had DOS 2x in the 2 years since I switched, both were from particular fragrance oils as no other batches made from the same MB bucket were affected, and proven across several batches made. Some FO's are just bad in soap*

Back