Stop me before I scar some guy for life

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's the calculations for my first shave soap-(file attached). Somebody please look it over before I hurt someone...

Attachments

• Shea Butter, Tallow and Clay Shave Soap SS20190504-1.pdf
    75.6 KB · Views: 32
Looks good, I haven't made shave soap yet tho, and thought a higher ratio of Avocado could make it more conditioning. And wondering why both kinds of lye?

Glycerin coats, and leaves a kind of film residue I don't like to well.. happy soaping!

Always add glycerin if you use stearic.

You can buy a decent badger brush at walgreens for $25 or so or a really cheap boar brush at walmart for under $10.

Because stearic is a fatty acid not a oil it doesn't create glycerin when it saponifies. I know there is a much better explanation somewhere on site but that's they best explanation I can give.

I dunno about shaving soap - but I use soy wax all the time @ 20% and I get get plenty of glycerin rivers when I gel :)
How well do I know! I found that bag of soy wax in my cabinet that I bought thinking my daughter might like to try candle making. Until you, my friend from down under, I didn't even know it could be used in soap!!

How well do I know! I found that bag of soy wax in my cabinet that I bought thinking my daughter might like to try candle making. Until you, my friend from down under, I didn't even know it could be used in soap!!
You can blame Dean for that - I was looking for 'something else' in my soap that was vegan and palm-free, and SW is it. Wouldn't be without it now.

I dunno about shaving soap - but I use soy wax all the time @ 20% and I get get plenty of glycerin rivers when I gel :)
Glycerin rivers aren’t actually glycerin. From Auntie Clara’s blog:

First of all glycerine rivers are NOT glycerine (or glycerin if that’s your spelling of choice). They are not “solidified glycerine” or “glycerine that develops in soap that goes through gel phase”. Glycerine – or glycerol – is an end product of the saponification reaction whether or not the soap goes through gel phase. Coldprocess soap with visible glycerine rivers is no richer in glycerine than a soap without rivers.

Link to the blog post: https://auntieclaras.com/2018/05/how-to-make-glycerine-rivers/

Glycerin rivers aren’t actually glycerin. From Auntie Clara’s blog:

First of all glycerine rivers are NOT glycerine (or glycerin if that’s your spelling of choice). They are not “solidified glycerine” or “glycerine that develops in soap that goes through gel phase”. Glycerine – or glycerol – is an end product of the saponification reaction whether or not the soap goes through gel phase. Coldprocess soap with visible glycerine rivers is no richer in glycerine than a soap without rivers.

Link to the blog post: https://auntieclaras.com/2018/05/how-to-make-glycerine-rivers/
Um....ok....thanks. I’m guessing surely you didn’t mean that to come across as harsh and condescending.

Um....ok....thanks. I’m guessing surely you didn’t mean that to come across as harsh and condescending.
Of course I didn't mean it to be harsh or condescending. The only part that were my words was the first sentence. The rest is a quote from Auntie Clara's blog. As is the link for the whole blog post to put the quote in context. Clara isn't harsh or condescending either. I'm sorry if it seemed otherwise, and thank you @artemis for noticing right away. No ill intent, and no hard feelings I hope.

I find glycerin rivers to be fascinating. It is widely believed that these translucent lines are indeed glycerin because of the name attached to them. Just one more soaping urban legend I was trying to shed some light on.

Latest posts

Back