Still thinking

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseMarie

Reaction score
Yep still trying to figure out something about our soap making a couple weeks ago. I couldn't sleep last night so I got up and read some in the Soapmakers companion and something she said in there about unsaturated and saturated got me to thinking. So I started making some notes. The 1st batch took a long time to trace but the second batch started tracing before we could even get it all stirred up.
Our 1st batch of CP soap was made with a store brand shortening and I believe it's called Best Choice brand. Then when we started making the 2nd batch we didn't have quite enough of that left so we used some of Walmarts brand shortening which is GV. On the GV brand it has soybean oil and cottonseed oil in it but since we tore the label off the other shortening container I don't know what was in it. BUT it was really pretty and white and then GV brand is really off white in color and looks totally different than the Best Choice brand did. So I am thinking it was the difference in the shortenings (that made the 2nd batch trace soooo fast)along with there were different name brand olive oils in each batch as well. The 2nd batch had Flippo Berio extra light and the 1st batch was also extra light but it was Master Choice imported.
So I think I am going to stay with the best choice store brand rather than GV brand because of it wanting to trace soooo fast. ALSO we started stirring in the lye and water faster in the second batch than we did on the 1st batch so that probably paid a part in this to. Anyway just wanted to ask would the shortening being different brands cause it to trace faster. IF I am remembering right the Best Choice brand had tallow in it.
Anyway I made some notes like everyone said to do so we will know what we used and how it reacted. It's very neat learning all of this stuff! :)

I am new to soap making myself, but my soap book says "Don't interchange oils in a recipe!" If different shortenings are made from different oils, I don't think they would necessarily be interchangeable. They might need different lye amounts.

yeah I didn't think about that. It is a really nice bar of hard soap though. I guess we should have used all GV brand and not mixed the other brand with it.
Thank you for your responce.

It just really depends. Some oils do have some of the same properties. Your best bet is to go back to the store and see what was in it.

Are you scenting your soap? FOs can change how fast something will trace.

Thank you Rosey! Yep that's what I was going to do. I really liked that Best Choice brand better than the walmart brand. The walmart brand looked like it had been used before from the color of it. lol
I scented the first batch after trace. but the second batch was just plain.

Back