Stick blender versus mixer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youreapima2

Reaction score
Hello!

I am trying to get some insight from actual soap makers. I have gone thru 2 stick blenders now, and I have only just begun making soap. I am getting a little tired of buying them.

I was wondering if anyone has ever used a regular hand mixer instead like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Waring-WHM100-Pro ... pd_sim_k_2

I am also wondering if it will mix up the all ingredients well enough when you add the lye to the oil? Or if soap makers prefer stick blenders for a particular reason?

Any insight you all may have would be greatly appreciated.

Cathy

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey,

The problems with mixers like you linked too is that they tend to work a lot of air into your soap, and you don't want that.

You shouldn't have killed two stick blenders, so lets look at that. Tell us about how you use them. Do you keep it turned on when mixing? That might be your problem.

You can burn SB's motors out by constant use. You should having it on for 30 seconds, then off, (and just stir with it turned off) then back on, etc.- rather than constant on.

Does that make sense?

I have read some people who use the mixer you described (usually because they don't like the process/outcome and haven't discovered stick blenders yet). Air bubbles as mentioned. Also, more splashing and takes a LOT longer..

Happy, once I read what you said does make a lot of sense. That is more than likely why I burned out 2 stick blenders, cuz I had them on constantly.
I didn't realize that you were to turn it off and back on again. I had seen videos on youtube that they used it constantly.

The last batch I made on Mothers Day, the 2nd blender started smoking from the motor, but at the time still worked. I have not tried it since. But smoke is a bad thing, I do know that much LOL!

I have seen other videos that ppl sacrificed a kitchen aid stand mixer to make soap, ummm, I am NOT about to do that. Stick blenders are not very easy to find in stores where I live, so I have to rely on buying online.
I thought that since I don't use my hand mixer perhaps I could use that to mix the soap.

But now that I know to do it in 30 second increments, I will try that and hopefully the Oster stick blender I have will live thru another batch.
This really is a learning experience for me as I go along. I enjoy making CP soap more than M&P. I am grateful that I have found this site for information that I don't find in books.

Thank you so much for your advice. I do appreciate it.

If your stick blender has already been smoking, you could try even shorter bursts, like 5-10 seconds, then stir a bit manually, then another burst and stir manually until you get to trace. It may take a little longer, but you'll keep your SB longer that way!

I went right through two stick blenders as well when I first started making CP soap. I did not keep them running constantly but probably I did not turn them off frequently enough. I can't remember now but I believe mine were also Osters. I probably got them at Walmart. I finally just spent the money and bought a Cuisinart one. I am not advocating any brand here, but this Cuisinart has been a work horse for me and I do remember to use it in short bursts, but sometimes I am at it for a long time and the motor does get hot. The older stick blenders were better made, I think. Even the cheap ones. The newer ones not so much. The trouble with my earlier ones was that water or soap mixture could work its way up into the motor housing and I really think that is what did them in. In a pinch, a wire whisk can work for you almost as well as a sb if you apply a little elbow grease :D If you are making a big batch, like more than 2 pounds, that whisk is tiring. You definitely need the SB then.

I have a relatively cheap Cuisinart stainless steel stick blender, and it works quite well. Never had a problem with it overheating, smoking, or anything like that, and I probably keep it on too long. Seems to me it's better to spend a little more up front, rather than keep spending less over and over.

I also have a Cuisinart stainless steel SB that I got on amazon for about $25. It separates into two parts for easy cleaning. Has yet to smoke or do anything alarming. I've made 50 batches of soap with it, some of them big ones.

Mine is a Hamilton Beach. The first time I used it, I, too, was doing it incorrectly and it started to heat up. Figured out what I was doing wrong very quickly. It's still around, 20 or so batches in. HOWEVER, I do lots of soaps at a really light trace, so it's never used for more than three to four minutes (in bursts, of course). I don't think I paid more than $20 for it.

carebear said:
Oster stick blenders SUCK. Do NOT buy them.

carebear, I've only ever used an Oster and I can't for the life of me (and I've tried everything!!) avoid bubbles. Is this part of the suckiness of Oster?!

Back