Is cure time affected by emulsion method (stick blender vs spatula stirring)?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garden Gives Me Joy

Reaction score
I recently noticed that a certain recipe does not require a stick blender. Instead, stirring with only a silicone spatula allows me to achieve emulsion within about 1 to 2 minutes.

Should I wait for more time (like an extra week or days) before using the soap if I pour the batter that had only been spatula stirred? Has anyone ever noticed a difference in cure time?

ps. Am I the only one that prefers the extra stirring time over washing a stick blender?

I recently noticed that a certain recipe does not require a stick blender. Instead, stirring with only a silicone spatula allows me to achieve emulsion within about 1 to 2 minutes.

Should I wait for more time (like an extra week or days) before using the soap if I pour the batter that had only been spatula stirred? Has anyone ever noticed a difference in cure time?

ps. Am I the only one that prefers the extra stirring time over washing a stick blender?
Cure time? No, - standard cure time is 4-6 weeks, regardless of method used.
Until you can cut? Yes, that can be a factor.

At the end of my soaping session, I put my stick blender in a cup of soapy water and give it a couple of bursts. I leave all my dirty dishes alone for a day or two so that the batter turns into soap. Washing my stick blender has been a breeze. I use a dishwasher now (first one and I'm old, we're livin' like Kings) but handwashing is also a breeze.

The cure time of your soap has nothing to do with how your soap is made. Doesn't matter whether you use a spoon or a whisk, a hand mixer or stand mixer, blender or stick blender. And so long as your ingredients are fully emulsified, it doesn't affect cure time either. What can affect umolding, cut and curing is the weather or the ingredients you use. But on the average, soap is ready to be unmolded/cut in 24 to 48 hours and cured in four to six weeks.

No, there is not change in cure time whether I pour at emulsion or thick trace, nor when I make soap with pomace olive oil that does not require the use of my SB.

It may take a bit longer before the soap is ready to cut, but that has no effect on the length of cure a particular recipe needs. Some recipes do require a longer cure than others, but that is completely related to which oils are in the recipe and not the thickness or thinness of the batter when I pour into the mold.

Back