Stick Blender Trick

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

When making soap and wanting to get the best color mix results I do the following; I have a hard plastic clear cup ( they are part of a summer picnic set of plastic dishes) that the head of my stick blender fits in with a little space all around. I put the color (ie two teaspoons of french pink clay) in the cup, once my soap has reached a light trace I fill the plastic cup slightly over half full of soap. I then blend it with the stick blender. I find that this blends the color and does not leave any little bits and chunks. Sometimes I have to give it a couple of zaps with the stick blender. I do this for all of my colors and any other ingredients, like coconut milk/cornstarch/kaolin clay. This process eliminates lumps and clumps in your soap. Before I started this process I was frustrated when I cut my soap and would get a smear of white titanium dioxide, or french green clay.
I hope this is a clear explanation.
Cheers!

You can also pre moisten your dry ingredients in some oil. That helps disperse the color in the soap and not get clumps (but yes, you'll still need to stick blend or mix well).

I've done that with a stick blender. I've also used a frother which does work when the soap is emulsified or at a light trace. Then I found a little battery operated hand held mixer at a yard sale for 50 cents. I think it was meant for campers. It's the perfect size for using in a small cup to mix colorants. I just have to be careful to keep it submerged so it doesn't whip air into the soap.

Back