Stainless steel or aluminum - how to tell the difference

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sibi

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows how to tell the difference between stainless steel and aluminum. There is a can (Pirouline cookies) that I think would be fabulous for making large round soaps but I don't know if it's aluminum or stainless steel.....

Sibi

A magnet is one way to tell . It would not stick to aluminum , it would to stainless steel.

HTH

Kitn

Well, this news is good because the magnet sticks!! yipee. I'll have to give it a go then! Thanks for the info :D

What a great tip! I would never have thought of that.

Thanks, Kitn!! :)

Jude

Kitn said:
A magnet is one way to tell . It would not stick to aluminum , it would to stainless steel.

HTH

Kitn

THanks for the info, Kitn! I was just wondering this!

Some stainless steel isn't magnetic. Stainless is an alloy so it would depend on the composition. If the magnet sticks your ok, but don't assume that something isn't stainless just because a magnet won't stick.

magnets can stick to stainless steel

Magnets can stick to stainless steel. If a magnet sticks it's lesser qualitity but still stainless. I used to sell restaurant equipment and this came up when selling s/s sinks and work tables.

My husband showed my that the other day... though I am still skeptical. He did it on a tin can... why do we call them tin cans if they're not tin?

kittywings said:
My husband showed my that the other day... though I am still skeptical. He did it on a tin can... why do we call them tin cans if they're not tin?

LOL good question .

Lesser grades of stainless steel have iron in them, so a magnet will stick to them. Better grades, like pharmacuetical or medical grades, are non magnetic.

If you take some lye water and put it on stainless, nothing will happen. If you put some of it on aluminum, it will corrode very quickly and release hydrogen gas. Try it outside on a piece of aluminum foil.

If you have enough lye water and put enough aluminum foil into it, you can actually create enough hydrogen to fill up a trash bag, tie it and let it go like a balloon :D

Kitn said:
kittywings said:

LOL good question .

As I understand, they used to be, but aren't anymore.

donniej said:
Lesser grades of stainless steel have iron in them, so a magnet will stick to them. Better grades, like pharmacuetical or medical grades, are non magnetic.

If you take some lye water and put it on stainless, nothing will happen. If you put some of it on aluminum, it will corrode very quickly and release hydrogen gas. Try it outside on a piece of aluminum foil.

If you have enough lye water and put enough aluminum foil into it, you can actually create enough hydrogen to fill up a trash bag, tie it and let it go like a balloon :D

donnie I thought steel was made from iron..now Im all confused.Our iron ore smelters -my grandad worked at Port Kembla iron&steel,which they all called the steelworks.waaa.Im off to google

gekko62 said:
donnie I thought steel was made from iron..now Im all confused.Our iron ore smelters -my grandad worked at Port Kembla iron&steel,which they all called the steelworks.waaa.Im off to google

Steel does indeed have iron in it, most steels are mostly iron. However the term "steel" has as loose a definition as "soap"... and just as the term "soap" can mean many different things, so can steel.

The most common steels, such as mild or tool steel are mostly iron. The most common stainless steel is 300 series (ie, 304, 305, etc...). Here's some info on them from Wikipedia. As you can see, then contain virtually no iron, if any at all.

300 series, stainless steels comprise over 70% of total stainless steel production. They contain a maximum of 0.15% carbon, a minimum of 16% chromium and sufficient nickel and/or manganese to retain an austenitic structure at all temperatures from the cryogenic region to the melting point of the alloy. A typical composition of 18% chromium and 10% nickel, commonly known as 18/10 stainless, is often used in flatware. Similarly, 18/0 and 18/8 are also available. Superaustenitic stainless steels, such as alloy AL-6XN and 254SMO, exhibit great resistance to chloride pitting and crevice corrosion due to high molybdenum content (>6%) and nitrogen additions, and the higher nickel content ensures better resistance to stress-corrosion cracking versus the 300 series. The higher alloy content of superaustenitic steels makes them more expensive. Other steels can offer similar performance at lower cost and are preferred in certain applications

I find that many stainless steel pots are labeled on the back. I went to a flea market and found some that were labeled. I found a stock pot that wasn't labeled and bought it anyway (only $1 dollar.) The magnet tip is great. The magnet stuck to it. I am still going to spot test it and verify that is is OK to use. My good pots; the magnet didn't stick to them.

ChrissyB said:
So Sibi, haven't seen you around here much lately, you haven't been farming by any chance have you?
:wink: :wink: :wink:

Gee Chrissy, whatever makes you say that???? :lol:

but seriously, I haven't made a batch of soap in a few weeks (OMG), how could that be possible???? Well, I fixed that tonight and made a batch for hubby and son and will make another batch for me :D

Oh, and thanks evertybody for all the great info about stainless steele!!! A magnet DOES stick to my potential mold so I'm going to give it a go and post pics when I'm done. Thanks again!! :D

Back