SRB - Scent Review Board

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

math ace

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am doing a ton of CP testing of fragrances right now. I would really like to be able to share my experiences with the community.

I've heard about the SRB and if it is still active, I'm interested. I am not sure how the SRB works. Do they review only certain scents or is it like the fragrance review chart where you submit a review as you try a new fragrance. What does the SRB do that the fragrance review chart doesn't?

I've sent a request to http://www.soapscentreview.obisoap.ca/index.php with user name and email.
I don't think I received the invite to participate, but I could of accidentally deleted it. I sent a second request to join and am now sure that I did not receive an invite to participate.

How long from the time I request to join until the invite is sent?

Is there a person I should contact about this?

Should I do something else?

Thanks

The SRB is pretty extensive, containing several forums/subforums.

Starting from the top and making your way down, it has:

-Announcements, which contains sections such as how to register, what to do if you can't remember your password, etc....
-Fragrance Chat, which has sections such as the site map, how to measure EOs and FOs, ISO questions, general board questions, references and links, etc...
-Vendor Experiences, where you can post either negative or positive experiences with vendors
-Fragrance Oil stickers, Fader & Seizers
-Duplicates, accurate or not
-Florals, true or not true
-Fruits, true or not true
-Best In Category, i.e., best coconut, best lavender, best amber, etc., etc.....
-Fragrances that Smell the Same, i.e., FOs from one vender that smell just like an FO from another vendor.
-Soapers Favorites, Just For Me, i.e., something one likes personally, not necessarily what sells
-EO/FO Reviews Specifically for lotion (bath & body), categorized by vendor in alphabetical order
-EO/FO Reviews Specifically for Liquid Soap
-FO Reviews, categorized by vender in alphabetical order
-Forum, Blending Partners, what do you blend with....
-My Favorite Scent Blends (FO's)
-EO Reviews, categorized by vendor in alphabetical order
-My Favorite Scent Blends (EOs)
-Flavor oils, categorized by vendor in alphabetical order
-12-step FO HO Program, the great affliction, we meet daily
-Happy Birthday
-The Side Dish, for updates on the fate of Dish Forum
-Dogs & kitties, where you can discuss pets.

Edited to add, although a great resource, it's not very active anymore. There are a few new reviews here and there from time to time, but they are few and far between, and many of the reviews are so old they might not be reliable anymore because they date from before the great phthalate reformulations and IFRA compatability changes that many vendors engaged in, etc.. For more up-to-date reviews, you're much better off taking a gander at SMF's reviews in the link DeeAnna provided.

IrishLass :)

Last edited:
. . . have you considered contributing to SMF's Fragrance Review?

Direct link to the Review: https://tinyurl.com/y8yqhtlt

Not only have I considered it, but I've already submitted a few of my earlier tests.

It sounds like this might be the more active, better appreciated, spot to post my reviews.

I guess I don't really understand what is going on with the SRB... It sounds like that might of been the "old" place for reviews and the link you provided to the SMF's fragrance review might be the "new" place for submitting fragrance review information.

How To Register - Post by Lilli » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:55 am
To register:
a) Send the board Admin an e-mail at

[email protected] ...

Subject: Registration The Soap Scent Review Board

Include your requested user name and your e-mail address.
b) I will complete your registration.
c) You will receive 1 e-mail with review information to the site and asking for information on the type of soaper you are, etc.
Please read the Welcome Letter carefully -AND- return the requested information by e-mail. Failure to return the information within 7 days will result in termination of your registration.
d) When I receive the information requested, I will send you a temporary password. You may now sign-in.
e) Proceed to the User Control Panel and change the temp password to a private password.
f) Start writing reviews!
g) You have 7 days to sign-in to complete the registration process before the software deletes your membership as status: abandoned.

Free Email Accounts are NOT ACCEPTED during registration. (i.e. Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, Live, t-mail, AOL etc. etc.).

Please use your paid ISP e-mail addy.
ISP addy: comcast.com, cox.net, AT&T, Verizon, nc.rr.com, sympatico.ca, shaw.ca, telus.ca, videotron.ca, @mysoapsite.com etc.
Your paid Internet Service Provider e-mail. Registration requests that do not meet the above criterion will be discarded.

Following receipt of your "Welcome Aboard" e-mail:
a) Sign-in to the board. Your membership is automatically deleted within 7 days if you don't sign-in to activate it.
b) Proceed to the User Control Panel. Choose a new private password.

There have been about 15 new reviews submitted to the SMF Review since my last update in June. New content is temporarily stored until I take the time to sort the reviews and put them in the correct suppliers' sheets.

If you want to see these new reviews, they're in a sheet called "FO Adds". Look for a tab by that name on the far right hand side of all of the tabs in this Sheet -- it's immediately to the right of the Wholesale Supplies tab.

Hiya Lisa,

I just went over to SSRB and it is still active... a few posts in 2018 & 2019. If you don't get in, let me know and I'll try to contact Lilli, the owner to see what I can find out. I know she was asking for donations a few years back... that might be part of the problem. Dunno. :smallshrug:

I got all choked up when I saw the wealth of information on that forum! I'm always on the lookout for good essential oil blends and they are hard to find. I even found one of my own that I had forgotten! LOL

Not to disparage DeeAnna's hard work, not at all... just saying I had a bit of nostalgia checking in over there and seeing all those familiar names of soapers & suppliers from days gone by.

There have been about 15 new reviews submitted to the SMF Review since my last update in June. New content is temporarily stored until I take the time to sort the reviews and put them in the correct suppliers' sheets.

If you want to see these new reviews, they're in a sheet called "FO Adds". Look for a tab by that name on the far right hand side of all of the tabs in this Sheet -- it's immediately to the right of the Wholesale Supplies tab.

I wasn't complaining DeeAnna. You do a great job with SMF review. Thanks for the heads up about the "FO Adds". I didn't know that tab existed. IrishLass makes the SRB sound like an awesome encyclopedia of soaping fragrance information. I like the idea of learning more and possibly contributing something from my current fragrance testings.

Can you tell me what the SMF stands for? Is it Soap Making Forum Reviews??

Last edited:
I didn't hear anyone complaining. ;) Just offering information.

SMF = SoapMaking Forum.

Soapmaking Forum Fragrance Oil Review is the whole name of the database. It's a mouth full.

Forget SSRB the info on just about all are before the 'reformulation' time so while the scent it self might be fine, the main info you need, ricing, discolor, Accelerating will not be true.
I would stick to searching on here for a particular scent or the link listed above- which is also at the beginning of the FO section here too.
:)

I use both; the SSRB usually has more information about why the person liked the scent which can still be relevant. Most reviews also have usage rates. Since the dates are on the posts it is usually clear whether the review is before the large reformulation in 2018. The older posts on the SMF don't have dates which means it is impossible to know if the review is before reformulation or after. Personally,

Back