source for soy taper or utility candles?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paillo

Reaction score
making some soy ice candles using utility or taper candles as a core. all i've been able to find in these are paraffin, which i'm finding burns way too fast. have searched high and low for soy cores, with no luck. any ideas? thanks~!

thanks Catmehndi,

after a bunch more searching, i believe you are right. ah well, i've researched how to make those too, will just make it into a zen experience :)

Here's the info I have for this (though I admit, I haven't tried myself)
Make a Dipped Candle
Create various tapers in different sizes by dipping wicks into melted wax and hanging them to dry.
You’ll need:
• A pillar blend wax
• Appropriate wick (flat, primed)
• Color and fragrance as desired
• Fragrance or Essential oil (between 5 and 10%, depending on the wax and oil chosen)
• Liquid Colorant (7 to 15 drops per pound), block (1 block per 5lbs) * tip: for deeper, darker shade, add some black.
• Melting pot / double boiler
• Hanger or long nail (to hang your candles to dry)
• Newspaper (to cover your work surface and help with clean up)
• Paring knife
• Tall can
Figure out just how much wax you'll need and melt it in your melting pot.
The amount of wax will depend on the size of the dipping can and that will be determined by the desired height of the candle you wish to make. As a general rule of thumb a 12 high by 5 ¼ wide requires 6 1/2lbs of cold wax (the Book of Candlemaking)
Cut the wick the desired length of the finished candle plus 2inches.
Hold the wick at one end and dip end into the wax for three seconds. Remove the wick and hang to cool for three minutes. Repeat. After 3 or 4 dippings, straighten the wick and candle.
Repeat the dipping and drying process until the candle is the desired thickness – between 15 to 30 dips.
You can trim the drips off the bottom of the candle with the paring knife.
You may roll the finished candle on wax paper to remove any minor bumps.
Hang the candle for at least 1 hour and trim the wick to ½” before burning.
More tips: for best results, the correct temperature for the melted wax is really important. It should be around 160°F. A higher temperature might cause the previous layers to melt. A lower temperature will affect the layering and it may become uneven.
If the candle is dipped too often or too long, the wax will melt instead of build up.

Every combination of wax, dye, fragrance and wick must be tested for burn quality.

Good luck!!

i made a batch last night with your instructions, they turned out just fine, thanks so much again! i placed an old coat rack in the bottom of a kitchen cabinet and was able to make 6 at a time while making soap. a little bit of time, but they'll burn at the same rate as the candles and they're cheaper than buying cores to boot :)

Latest posts

Back