Someone asked

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A person I barely know makes her own soap. She asked me if I would sell her several pounds of lye. Is this allowed? Wouldn't I get into trouble? :eek:
I mean, what if she wants to make something else besides soap? Not sure what I should tell her :confused:

Does she sell her soap? If so, she should have a license. If she has a license then if you sell the lye to her make sure you get her tax license for your files that way if anything comes back to you, you are covered.

However, I don't know the legality of selling lye, so the above is only if it is in fact legal to do so.

Or you can just give her the name of some lye suppliers, like ED, The Lye Guy, Mile High Soap, Natures Garden, - there are so so many.
And if she makes her own soap, she should know where to get it from as well..

Jcandleattic, I agree, she should know where to get the lye. I know that places like Ace Hardware, Lowe's, etc. sell lye, so it's a bit puzzling as to why she'd ask if I would sell her lye. I will ask her a few questions. Thank you!

I sell soap, but there are no licensing requirements in my state specifically for selling. The state mainly wants its sales tax paid every year, and the gift shop that carries my soap takes care of that.

Did you have to present any credentials to buy lye from the supplier you used? I'd probably use that experience as your guide as far as documentation, since I don't know what state or country you live in. If you didn't have to prove you're using the NaOH for soap, how can you hold this other person to a higher standard than yourself?

If there are no particular restrictions on selling NaOH to the public and assuming she is a reputable soap maker and I feel comfortable with her as a person, I'd probably sell her some NaOH to tide her over in a pinch. If she's wanting you to be an ongoing source for NaOH, that wouldn't be my cuppa tea -- I would not want to do that.

Last edited:
I too sold some to another soaper. I had lots she had none. I certainly wouldn't make a habit of it. I too am not required to have any licensing here. Just sales tax stuff.

First, I want to say I am responding as though you live in the US. If you don't, then you need to look into the legal issues around this in your country.

Is she asking because you buy in bulk and get a great price and she has not been able to get such a good price? If that is the case, then giving her the contact information might be the best course.

Is she having difficulty obtaining lye for some reason she hasn't shared (example: conviction of methamphetamine offense)? See this US federal law regarding selling methamphetamine precursors to such a person. Several states have similar laws on the books as well.

I would not sell lye to someone I barely know. I am not licensed as a re-seller. If you are licensed within your state to purchase whole-sale and re-sell to the consumer, you know your legal obligations. But since you are asking this question, my guess is you are not. Within my state, re-selling requires a license or permit. I am not sure if all states require this, but I assume so.

Thank you all for your input. I live in the USA. She called me again, and when I asked her a few questions about her soapmaking practices, she hung up on me. could tell she was hesitating with her answer, like.... the woman didn't know a thing about making soap! Never asked about oils, butters, etc. - only lye. Perhaps it's not "right" for me to suspect she wanted lye for other purposes. Meth labs are quite popular in this area! If she ran out of lye to make her soap, she can always head to AceHardware and buy some until she orders from her regular supplier. Hate to be so "uptight", but something doesn't quite add up with this woman....o_O

You may want to alert any local soapmakers you know about her in case she tries it with them...we don't need police knocking on our doors asking why we're selling to meth labs!

Yes, that's what I was and am afraid of. Oh, something else happened this morning - listen to this, where do I live??? LOL A lady stopped by my booth and asked me if I have any tea to sell that would help her pass a urine drug test. I was "rude" and asked her what she was trying to cover up; she said, "Meth".... oh brother! There may be an opioids epidemic, but meth is big too, at least in my neck of the woods!

"...probably better not to engage the crazy...."

Yep, I second that idea! Ugh, this is creepy.

Jcandleattic, I agree, she should know where to get the lye. I know that places like Ace Hardware, Lowe's, etc. sell lye, so it's a bit puzzling as to why she'd ask if I would sell her lye. I will ask her a few questions. Thank you!
Not all do in all areas. There are some hardware stores like that don't sell lye or sell lye in very very small quantities. Not sure that's the case where you are, but it is in some places.

I think asking more questions about her soaping experience was a great idea. Meth is such a huge problem in many areas of the US and as soap makers, we have to be careful about selling lye to people who we don't know that well. I also live in a city that has both a major opioid and meth issue, so I will not sell lye to anyone. Apparently, the issues are so bad here they have pulled poppy seeds off the shelves in all the grocery stores and food stores that sold them.

I agree with Susie, always trust your gut.

clearly, she is new soapmaker or she would not have asked that or depending on how she asked. Might have gotten it online and never in stores or new boasting, but still learning and with no business experience prior as well. Either way for whatever reasons, UNLESS your a private or membership store its discrimination to target out one person unless you think they are trying to buy something to harm themselves or another. Then just say no if gut tells you.
There is no lis requirement.

I did not think about above mention of drug use in such. Pretty bad when stores have to remove poppy seeds and tide pods and other things over drug abuse.

Last edited:
I suspect the Tide pod epidemic was overreported. Personally, I know of NO one who personally knows anyone who actually did that. You'd only do it once. And they've had the kid warnings on the pods for over 4 years that I know of. One reason I don't watch the "news" anymore.

Funny, I just threw out some poppy seeds for being old..was going to put them in my soap as a scrub but never did LOL. You know how many seeds you'd have to eat to do anything?!?!?

Back