Solid Perfume

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue hill

Reaction score
Hi All,
im looking for the percentages when it comes to making solid perfume. I will use Beeswax, SAO and fragrance. Any idea how much of each?

Hi!

I'm a complete noob here, but I've been reading a lot about bath and body products online lately. I'm making lib balms to start. Many of the lip balm base recipes say they can be used for solid lotions or solid perfume as well.

Hope this helps a little!
Edie

I just made some yesterday :)

1.5 T. wax

1.5 T. sweet almondoil

1/8th dram EO

1/8th dram EO

I used that much of 2 different eo's mixed together and it still BARELY smells...

Doesn't look like you used enough EO, but I'm not familiar with drams so I looked it up.
According to WikiAnswers: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_drops_are_in_a_fluid_dram

1 fluid dram = 1 tsp

So, in your first batch you used 1/4 tsp of EOs (1/8 + 1/8 = 1/4 dram)
in the second, you used 1/2 tsp EOs.

Solid perfumes contain between 10-20% fragrance.

You used 9 tsp of oils (3 tbsp x 3 tsp)
10% of 9 tsp = 1 tsp (actually .9 tsp rounded up for measuring sanity)

So for the amount of oils you used, you should use about:
1 tsp, and no more than 2 tsp, of essential oils

ETA: For a solid perfume, I would use jojoba, fractionated coconut or just plain coconut oil as they are very stable oils and don't go rancid easily, unlike SAO.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Here's a twist on this - I got some jasmine floral wax and I want to make a solid perfume with no added EOs or FOs. I want all of the fragrance to come from the jasmine and the beeswax. Anybody ever done this?

I would ask for help from people who've made stick deodorant. The great majority of the material (the carrier) can be the same, it's just that the rest is odorant instead of deodorant!

I too have to jasmine wax and used some of it to make solid lotion and added .16 tsp of lavender and lime e/o it smelled divine! Does not over power the sweetness of the jasmine grandiflorum wax, use it for my hair ends and to smell good over all i love it.

I would ask for help from people who've made stick deodorant. The great majority of the material (the carrier) can be the same, it's just that the rest is odorant instead of deodorant!
I make deodorant, its about preventing bacteria growth that causes smell and has no connection with providing a smell like solid perfume. In a natural deodorant you have things like coconut oil or shea butter for natural microbial activity, starch (tapioca, arrowroot, corn) for absorbing some of the wetness, and usually baking soda for absorbing and preventing odor/bacteria growth from sweat.

Latest posts

Back