Sold my first soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I was a part of a two day convention. I'd orginally purchased a table to give out information in my profession, not soap making, I shared a table with a job developer and a bookseller. I also had a wicked 24 hour flu bug.

When I first arrived I had a couple 911 emergencies with my outside business, a call out and a late employee, so since my booth neighbor at the convention was a book seller with a lot of merchandise I asked her to just fill up my area with her product until I could return and set up properly.

When I returned I set out a basket of soaps I'd purchased from www.naturalsoapwholesale.com. The cherry almond, mango and coconut, the smell was magnetic, then I put out 5 bars of my orange essential oil hp soap. All of mine sold out, it was actually perfered and a relative who brought my boxes in, stole 2 bars of my soap. I was both flattered and angry of course.

I handed out business cards and an ingredient list with every sale, made $100 and sold most of the basket.

Things I noticed, so many people with dry yucky skin who claimed Dove was the only thing they use. Talked to an older lady who remembered her mother making soap in the front yard from discarded cooking grease and how her mother told her it must be made during the full moon or it will not harden.

One question, I put all the soap in one basket unwrapped and offred it to people to hold and smell. This didn't seem an issue with anyone that the soap was being handled before it was sold, what do you guys think of that?

Congratulations on selling your soap, it's good to hear a success story. Personally if I was going to buy soap from a stall, I'd want to smell it first but buy one which had been wrapped up/not touched by the masses. Maybe you could have display soaps and then the stuff that you sell separate.

I agree with Soap for breakfast! I would prefer to buy soap that is wrapped/boxed but it's nice to have one bar out in each scent so that people can touch and smell it.

Congratulations!!!!

I must admit, I go back and forth between being slightly skeeved out by the idea of 100 people sticking bars of soap in their nostrils (and they always touch their lips too), and then thinking "oh RELAX...it's no big deal" knowing that I myself probably wouldn't buy something I couldn't hold and smell and feel. I've seen plenty of shops with soap just thrown in a barrel or apple crate, unwrapped. It's very organic looking which, I think, adds to the charm.

On the other hand - yeah, I like SoapForBreakfast's idea too...maybe set a "smell tester" bar out to encourage people to just do all their sniffing and fondling with that. It might accomodate both feelings about it.

Hope you feel better soon, and I'm glad you had success with your soap!

congrats!

that is so exciting. i agree w/ the others about having a 'tester' available, and others wrapped

i want to be able to smell, but what about a cigar band, so some of it is exposed? I went to craft sale and they ahd shrink wrapped and you couldnt smell a thing, wouldnt buy.

Good for you , that is so neat . I would have to agree with the others about wrapping of some kind. There are clear resealable bags too ,you could have the display soap in one with the end open .Just an idea for you.
Congratulations o your sales.

kitn

You can get breathable shrink wrap now....I wonder if you can smell through it?
I would have one soap for smelling and the rest wrapped.
You could shrink wrap the bar for smelling and open up one end.

Congradulations!

I have one soap "naked" for each type/fragrance so soap that I sell - the rest are packaged. When I'm down to one left I still leave it out and people will ask me if I am willing to sell my sample - I do and they pay full price so it's a win win and they know that it has been handled.

Yep, I'm with Lindy. I leave out a bar unwrapped at the front of each soap type and that is the one people pick up and smell.

Congratulations on the success of your soap selling - even though it wasn't supposed to be the focus of your stall!

Tanya :)

How many batches have you made now? Maybe you need to slow down a bit.....just a couple of weeks ago you were making your first batches.

Just my HO.

MikeInPdx said:
How many batches have you made now? Maybe you need to slow down a bit.....just a couple of weeks ago you were making your first batches.

Just my HO.

so far I've made a batch every weekend

have two piles of cp I can't try till next month, and waiting on fo from daystar

glad to see you still love me

Oh yeah....still do. :lol:

All things aside......that's a really good start. I made a lot of soap in the beginning myself and you will improve exponentially with each batch if you keep the batches close together like you are.

MikeInPdx said:
Oh yeah....still do. :lol:

All things aside......that's a really good start. I made a lot of soap in the beginning myself and you will improve exponentially with each batch if you keep the batches close together like you are.

thank you Mike, I mean that truly from my heart. I learned alot from the "critiques" you guys gave me...first it will be a LOOOOOONG time before I can make a pretty bar of soap like some of you...and formula is important to me, so I'm paying attention to the different results...and when I thought "richly scented would be a MUST" my lightly scented orange bar was perfered over the stuff I purchased for resale, although the richly scented was what drew them to look.

I was also careful about who I sold the first bars to, I was at a daycare providers convention, so after long conversations about the ingrediants and my experince I sold to those only who still wanted to try what I had made and I gave them a flyer with ingrediants and my contact info. (also they were folks I already had casual relationships with)

so again...I was paying attention and appreciated the advice

And srsly.....I meant what I said. You are off to a good start.

I'm glad you're being careful about who you're selling to. Just make sure your soaps don't zap and it should all be good. In all honesty, it sounds like they don't and you're getting the knack quickly.

The pretty will come later. Try adding a little milk after the cook before you pour your HP. This will make it go into the mold a little easier. Then you can texture the top with a fork or a chopstick, bevel the edges and you will have pretty soap.

MikeInPdx said:
And srsly.....I meant what I said. You are off to a good start.

I'm glad you're being careful about who you're selling to. Just make sure your soaps don't zap and it should all be good. In all honesty, it sounds like they don't and you're getting the knack quickly.

The pretty will come later. Try adding a little milk after the cook before you pour your HP. This will make it go into the mold a little easier. Then you can texture the top with a fork or a chopstick, bevel the edges and you will have pretty soap.

oh yeah, one more thing, although my original friend I was trying to help financially by bring her in to soaping, she's still dragging her feet...telling me to "come pick her up, so we can soap...or sell"...when she is fully able to get on the bus...

well the job developer for the welfare-to-work program who shared my convention table...she is excited about soaping...yeah!!!!!! so I have a buddy and soon as my fo's from daystar come, she's coming over to do a batch with me...

so as the "addicts" say..."I'm turning her out" LOL :D

phillysoaps said:
so as the "addicts" say..."I'm turning her out" LOL :D

That's probably a good idea. You really need someone that is on board with you, not someone that you have to carry.

Latest posts

Back