One bar went rancid?!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Smart soap peeps,
I spent the weekend with Sis. She had a bar of my Spring Clean from my batch I made in May. It was rancid! It's my most popular bar both purchased and gifted and a recipe I've made for over 3 years. My same standard recipe. I store cured soaps in shoe boxes lined with paper towels. Her house is a refrigerator in the summer with air conditioning set to freezing. This is the Sis who normally likes to use my soaps as decoration but this bar was in active use on the bathroom sink in a room without windows. All the bars I still have in storage are fine. I store all my butters and oils in the refrigator and pull them out 24 hours before a soaping session. Any guesses?

This is the Sis who normally likes to use my soaps as decoration but this bar was in active use on the bathroom sink in a room without windows.
Was it on anything while it was on the bathroom sink?

@AliOop may be on to something - I have a message out to Sis. Right now I can't visualize that particular sink and soap dish. I do know in that bath that she likes to display my soaps on an antique washboard made of wood and metal. However, I do know that the guest bath does have a metal soap dish! :eek: Clearly I need to do an inspection to maintain a safe and welcoming environment for soap!

And @KiwiMoose , she clearly didn't know anything was wrong -- but it for dam sure didn't smell like lemongrass/rosemary!! My dad used a rancid soap for weeks til I couldn't take it anymore and tossed it. And his vanity drawer was stuffed with years of my gifts and the crayon smell nearly knocked me out.

I read somewhere that infrequently used soaps are more likely to go rancid than properly stored soaps. It was that bubble test I read awhile back. I'll see if I can find it

Latest posts

Back