Soda ash from alcohol spraying

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Putzii

Reaction score
Hi lovely Soapers,

I’ve noticed that alcohol spraying causes soda ash instead of preventing it on my soaps.
Is this a thing that anyone else experienced before?
Thanks

Attachments

• B08D4B1C-03E1-4031-85D3-0FCD33252380.jpeg
    B08D4B1C-03E1-4031-85D3-0FCD33252380.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Hi lovely Soapers,

I’ve noticed that alcohol spraying causes soda ash instead of preventing it on my soaps.
Is this a thing that anyone else experienced before?
Thanks
Those are beautiful! Post photos after the cut! I know it's not what you wanted, but it is still good looking.

I got soda ash just once. Now after I pour, I spray with alcohol, cover with plastic wrap, cover with cardboard. I gel so cover with a pile of towels. I have never gotten soda ash again. That's just my experience.

Thanks Zingi

Do you spray straight away after pour and you think that works better? I usually waited a few minutes.Might try that instead. I gel in a styrofoam box on a heat pad for 30 mins. And then leave it the way it is. I have now taken the plastic off because I saw the soda ash. Will try your method. I’ve never used towels because the styrofoam box heats up quite a lot too and had a few soaps become volcanic monsters🤣 so took the towels off… it’s all trial and error I suppose. Greenwich here isn’t always very warm either so maybe it’s a better way.
Ps
Can you actually see what type of soap pouring I used? I would like to know if you can see the effect I’m “trying” to achieve lolz

Thanks Zing⭐

Honestly, there is no rhyme or reason to soda ash...sometimes I get, sometimes I don't...doesn't matter whether I spray or not. It's cosmetic...you can wash, plane or steam it off. Sometimes I just leave it because it looks cool.

Thanks for the answers all of the team. I will try and wash or steam them. Still have a steamer somewhere.
Sometimes it looks pretty nice tbh but rather not now😊
Thank you so much, appreciate it!

I tend to get soda ash on cavity mold soaps but not on my loaf mold soaps. I assumed it was due to soap loaf going through gel phase & cavity molds not. 🤔

I used to unmold cavity molds after 24 hours like loaf molds and always got soda ash. Now i wait 5 days to unmold and avoid soda ash.
Just poured 14 snowflakes into cavity molds. I will try with all my might to wait 5 whole days!😲 I don’t have much faith in myself. You must have INCREDIBLE patience!

Just poured 14 snowflakes into cavity molds. I will try with all my might to wait 5 whole days!😲 I don’t have much faith in myself. You must have INCREDIBLE patience!
Patience? Me? I'm a soaper, Silly!
Seriously, I primarily use loaf molds. My leftover batter goes into single cavity molds so there's no rush to view designs or swirls or anything. Sometimes 2 unrelated leftovers go into the same single-cavity mold!

Back